Does anyone have an overactive thyroid?

mines hyperactive. Do I have take medication forever?

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 4:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Health

• My Dh has Graves diesaese which at least es hyperactive thyroid, but I don't know if there is more to it than that. Anyway, he had an ablation (sp?) done on his thyroid where he swallowed radioactive iodine to basically kill his thyroid and now he takes a pill every day to replace the hormone or whatever it is that the thyroid secreets to regulate metabolism, etc. Thyroid problems are so common, I think that the pill he takes is for the most commonly prescribed drug in the country because so many people have thyroid issues. It's just more people have under active thyroid rather than over active.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My mom does. She first got diagnosed at age 24 and has taken a pill,syntharoid (sp?), everyday and she is now 53 yrs old.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 4:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I just had testing done for hypothyroidism and will find out soon if I need meds. I will take them forever. I believe it is the same for hyperthyroidism. Google it and you'll see good info at webmd, mayoclinic, etc
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I'm the same way..I've been on a pill since 1996!!! I go in once a year to have blood work done on my thyroid.
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 11:26 AM on Apr. 18, 2011

• Mines underactive, hypothyroidism. They detected it when I was pregnant, and I was told it may have developed due to pregnancy, I was monitored throughout the 9 months, and once after, and I was told to stay on the medication.

My thyroid was the same after giving birth, so I think I'm onthese for life, but I think it depends on the person, the thyroid gland can change.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:29 AM on Apr. 18, 2011