I'm moving to Columbia SC. I made this decision after 8 years of wanting to move..

A realtor just called and he will call back Thursday. We will discuss schools,good neighborhoods. Am I missing anything give me any and all advice.I'm transferring jobs so that's a big help.

mamaofficer

Asked by mamaofficer at 4:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• do not trust your realtor alone . There are laws in place that prohibit them from disclosing certain information about the safety of a neighborhood. Do your own research. A good realtor will direct you to websites that offer statistics but they themselves can't tell you if your about to move into a bad spot.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Oh also , maybe talk to your future employer and ask them neighborhoods they recommend.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• WTH that's terrible so I can write down the area and school he suggest and will take it from there. Thanks for the info!!!
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 4:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I hope my wording on that first part wasn't weird. But I was really just trying to say that you shouldn't just rely on your relator since they are limited in what they can legally say about an area. So make sure you talk to others and do your own research
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 5:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I totally understood what you was saying the first time.
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 8:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I agree that a realtor is not allowed to tell you a good area vs a bad. You can research the schools and find "grades" on them. Google school ratings for that area. Also ask several people in the office where you will work about good areas. Be cautious about the areas with the cheapest homes. There is always a reason they are the lowest whether it is the schools, crime, etc. GL with the move!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I can't think of anything, but good luck! :)
    Sarahb21

Answer by Sarahb21 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You tell me where you are being shown, I can tell you if you are getting shown a good area. I know Cola. SC.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Thanks twinsplus I will
    mamaofficer

Comment by mamaofficer (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Check out the crime rates too !

I might be moving to Mrtyle Beach soon.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011