How many of you have a boy who is an only child and has ADHD/Bipolar?

My son is 14 years old he has ADHD/Bipolar and he is only child. I have ADD/Bipolar and we are constantly fighting about something. How do you cope with it without going crazy or feeling stressed to the point of crying?

UOPStudent

Asked by UOPStudent at 4:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I'm sorry I don't have any answers, I have Bipolar as well but I'm lucky that neither of my children at this point show any signs. Could you possible try some counseling together to work through it? Maybe learning how to talk to each other in a different way when things start to get heated?
    I know its hard to control our emotions with bipolar, so I'm sure when it gets that point its difficult for both you calm down and rationalize what's going on from both sides.
    I hope it gets better.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My 14 yr old only child son and I both have ADD. It helped to go to counseling to learn ways to control symptoms and how to discipline my son effectively for a child with ADD. I have definatley learned to fight my battles, talk with my son, explain things and give a LOT of reminders without nagging. If I nag, he shuts down. He's teachers tend to learn this one the hard way.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• sorry your going through this
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 10:10 AM on May. 25, 2011