one of my daughters brought home head lice and ive tried everything with no luck any suggestions?

mommyof3grls420

Asked by mommyof3grls420 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Health

• ok here is the real deal on head lice especially on a thick haired child. I went throug this nightmare two winters ago with a thick blonde head of hair on my DD. Home remedies are useless! Store kits are useless! Hair color does not work!
    call the doc and tell them you have tried the in store kits twice with no luck. Then ask them to call in someting called Ovide. It is refined kerosene...stinks to high heaven! You pour it on her head and put up in a bandana overnight. Nothing will survive this crap...it will take you about 5 to 6 shampoos to get the stink out...but you wont even have to go through and look for nits...this stuff means business. I will never use anything else again. Good luck keep me posted.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• soak her head in apple cider vinigar and then use the lice killer shampoo... with the shampoo still in use the comb then rinse and use the comb again! hope it wokrs!! good luck! i hated lice!
    wisteriastars

Answer by wisteriastars at 2:23 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• If the kits aren't working then try this. If she has long hair you might just have to cut it short. Soak her head and hair in vinegar. Afterwards, completely cover her head in baby oil and comb it out with a lice comb. My nasty neighbor gave me lice when I was 16 and that's what I did. Never had to waste a dime on the kits.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• If the kits arent working then call the pediatrician. They can call in a prescription usually with something that will work. You can also use mayonaise, tea tree oil etc on the hair. Make sure when you use the nit comb that you have a cup of alcohol so you can scrape them into it and theyll die and wont spread.
    You also need to wash all the bedding. You have to also get the stuffed animals and put them in plastic bags and store them for atleast a month so the lice will die. You need to treat your bedding (pillows, mattresses) and get rid of all the hair combs and brushes. You should also steam clean your carpets.
    Anonymous

• Those kits at the store are pretty useless. Unfortunately we've had lice come through our house a few times and I finally went out and bought one of those METAL lice/nit picks from Walmart. The plastic ones that come in the kits stink! It's a few bucks but it's SO worth it.

The only thing I found to work was to comb VERY thoroughly with the metal pick and to do it for a few days until you know for sure they're all gone. The vinegar is a good idea, too.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 2:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Make sure you wash her combs, brushes, ponytail holders, clips, bedding, her clothes and towels with HOT HOT water! You're almost better off soaking them first in boiling water if you can't get it hot enough. If I remember correctly, lice can live in temperatures up to like 120 degrees farenheit.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 2:55 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• You need to stay away from the lice shampoos/kits at the store...they're pesticides, and lice are already becoming immune to them, so you'd be washing your child's hair in chemicals for no reason. They're ineffective at best. Get a metal toothed lice comb and do it manually. It is the ONLY truly effective way to get rid of them. Wash all the bedding in hot water, dry it on high heat. Wash or bag stuffed animals for a couple weeks. Any clothing, shirts, jackets, hats, etc too. Hair brushes, combs, ponytail holders too.
    Comb the hair (you can use conditioner, oil, mayo...whatever helps you get the comb though as painlessly as possible) every day, checking thoroughly for nits (eggs) on the strands, for 10-14 days. Lice take a week to hatch, so any missed nits should hatch in that time, and you can comb the bugs out.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• when u get rid of the lice put listerine in her hair and she wont get it again it does work my sister did it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My daughter had this problem. We used the store stuff the first 2 tries.. but I didn't want to keep using chemicals. So I read somewhere to use Olive Oil. So we washed her hair, covered it in oil.. tons! lol and put a shower cap on and lots of towels. Let her sleep like that. The next morning we used a metal lice comb and went threw her hair again and since then we haven't had any. Also heard Tea Tree Oil prevents.. so we have been using Arbonne shampoo with TTO since then on the kids to be sure.. lol
    Make sure you wash everything!!!! HEAT!! lol
    Good luck!!
    KimArbonne

Answer by KimArbonne at 4:09 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• We soak their head in olive oil & cover with a plastic cap for at least 1 hour. Then rinse with vinegar & comb with a metal nit comb. There is also a product called Lice Free by Thursday's Plantation that works pretty good - from the health food store, it is essential oils instead of pesticides. As a last resort, I have been known to buy a cheap box of matching hair color & process for 20 minutes - I wouldn't recommend it for very young kids, though. When it's one of the boys, we usually just shaved their head.......Good Luck!
    greenergypsy

Answer by greenergypsy at 6:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2008