How do you know when you are really ready to "fixed"? (or your husband fixed)

karamille

Asked by karamille at 5:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am in the same boat. I thought this was going to be our last I am 23 weeks pregnant, but I think about it everyonce in a while about babies and my other 2 grew up so fast so I decided I am not getting fixed because I am not sure I want this one to be our last lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I guess it varies with each person. When I was married to my ex-husband, when our daughter was born, our son was 2 and a half. I was having a scheduled c-section,and was going to get a tubal,since we'd have 1 of each. Then, I was in a car wreck when I was 33 weeks with her. Two weeks later, she was born at 35 weeks,and since we didn't even know if she was gonna make it, the dr asked ex if he thought I'd still want a tubal. Ex told him not to do it, which I'm glad. We obviously ended up divorced,and when I met current DH, he had no kids. I ended up getting pregnant with our son, which would have never happened if I'd of gotten my tubal the night my daughter was born. She's fine,btw, is now 24, and a mom of her own kids.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My husband has 4 kids from previous relationships, we agreed that he would get fixed after 2, and I am glad b/c i adore my kids, but I don't want anymore. It was a good decision for him/us
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I just got "fixed" and did so because I realistically understand that I can't afford more
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My DH decided to against my wishes. So I don't have a decision to make.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• After my 3rd c-section I decided to have it done because I didn't want to put my body through another one. I think after all the scar tissue in my uterus that my body probably couldn't go through another pregnancy. Really glad I had it done.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Logically, its time to do it. But emotionally, I'm having a hard time getting there. I'm on implanon, which lasts 3 years, and I am planning on doing it again, when this one is up so that takes me up to almost 40. So I am making sure I don't get pregnant, but getting fixed is just so.... final. :P
    karamille

Comment by karamille (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We knew we wanted two, and he had his vasectomy done the day after our second child was born. He was wanting to do it a few months earlier, but I was more comfortable waiting until our son was born. It was an easy decision for us because we knew we were done. We were both sure, and really it's one of the best things we've ever done. It's been almost 6 years now. He did it right after he turned 26.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• well i can tell you this much if you are second guessing yourself then you are not sure and for a decision like that i would make sure you are 100% it takes alot to unfix whats not broken to begin with especially when there is long term bc but my own personal choice i refuse to get fixed you never know what your situation will bring you and no im not catholic but my mom had four kids with my so called dad and planned on being with him for life and they figured that was enuff kids they had 2 boys 2 girls what else would you want well apperently another woman because he left her for one so then she got with who i consider my dad and he never had any kids yet so he had to go the rest of his life with never having his own bio kids and they did try to reverse it and have more never worked so gl with your decision
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It is so final and wish I could of had the choice, I had one and she is my miracle baby, she was not breathing when I had her and was in hospital 2 months after her birth, she was 2 months early. I wanted another so bad but was scared to get pregnant. When I decided to try again I ended up in the hospital one day with severe cramps only to be wheeled in to have my appendix taken out, when iI awoke I had a full emergency hysterectomy because of severe bleeding and endometriosis. So my baby days were over, I look back now and I am so blessed to have what I do have and I now realize it was a blessing not being able to have more, only cause I could not financially at the time afford any more and now they would have such a hard time with the way the economy is. My 17 yo is spoiled now only cause I can afford to spoil her.
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 5:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2011