Working out - any way to keep his heart rate down?

My roommate wants to join the army. Yesterday he had a physical test which he failed. I guess at the start, they took his heart rate. They said that normal would've been between 60 and 100 - his was at 99. Obviously after the test it went up, so he failed. There were some other things he needs to work on (like the way he does his sit ups and push ups), so he's going to do that.

But we're not sure how he can keep his heart rate lower, if he can.

I think it was high from the start from nerves, and because it was a nicer day out yesterday and he might've been sort of tired from walking from the bus stop... so beyond keeping a slower pace during the walk from the bus, I'm stumped!

Does anyone have any tips?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Health

• Perhaps he's not exercising enough and his body hasn't yet recovered from the smoking, but either way, I'd probably talk to the doc if I were him, in case there's an underlying condition.
    I work out almost every day pretty intensely, and my resting heart rate is 48 beats per minute. That's why 99 sounds so high to me. Maybe someone else has some additional info...
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Is he out of shape or does he exercise regularly? If he exercises regularly and is fit and his heart rate is still that high, he should talk to his doctor.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• my heart rate could never stay under 100, diet and regular exercise will keep the heart slower. Guess he just needs to hit the gym daily, use the machines that monitor heartrate, see what helps
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• He does exercise on a regular basis, but he carries the majority of his weight in the middle... and he recently quit smoking too.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Try avoiding caffeine, sodas with caffeine, and get a good couple of nights sleep--more important than most of us think! Some sort of meditation or calming routine prior to testing too. Good luck!
    billie18

Answer by billie18 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Oh, sorry, I forgot--did he take his heart rate at home, when he was just sitting down and not nervous? He should do that to try to get an accurate idea of what it is, just in case the nervousness affected it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• He always took his heart rate after working out at home prior to the test - so he was really surprised when they said it was that high!
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2011