Confused...

There is this boy in my nieces class (they are 10) and he rides his bike over to my sisters house EVERYDAY, on school days he shows up around 4 and stays until 7ish, sometimes just stays outside, on weekends he is over from about 10am to 6pm... My sister and I are both so confused by this. She has never met his parents or anything. He told my sister where he lives, and its over a mile away... Who lets their 10 year old ride their bike over a mile everyday to another kids house whose parents they dont know?? When i was a kid if I wanted a friend to come over or to go to a friends house my mom or dad had to talk to at least talk to the parents!!! I just dont get it....

VBM7287

Asked by VBM7287 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My husband grew up in a household, whose mother (single mother) was more of a friend than a parent!! It was hard for me to accept at first b/c I grew up in a very strict home. He would come over all the time, stay, eat, everything.. sometimes on weekends he would stay all weekend w/out callin (he was my brothers friend before we started to date,& trust me my room was through my mothers room so no funny buisness at all) nonetheless some people just dont THINK its a big deal!This kid probably needs the attention... I would definately follow your gut instinct though, but be careful you dont want them to get defensive, they could be the type of people who take their stress out on their child and finally forbid him to come around. He needs a safe haven and your sisters house just may be the place he needs... NOw on the other hand, if he is lying and the parents dont know, then they deserve to know.. Keep trying!!!! Good LUCK
    solmenkoo3

Answer by solmenkoo3 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• His parents may be not around. He might need the attention and safety of your sister's house.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Maybe your sister should investigate. Does she feed him when he is there?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• If I was her one of those days the little boy came by I would offer to drive him home, to at least see where he lives and maybe meet his parents in order to find out if there are issues happening in the household or something?
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I defently wouldnt let my son do that its way to risky now a days with kidnappers.
    its a sad fact that some parents just dont care about there kids.
    shanda1982

Answer by shanda1982 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I use the ride my bike over 3 miles at that age but then again that is when the town I lived in was safe. It must be a safe neighborhood. It is just as much as her responsibility as it is his parents to met each other. If she is so bothered by it tell her to go met his parents. He is just needing a friend. Maybe his home life isn't so great.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• She has tired to meet them, he always rides his bike to and from school, she has even given him rides home when it was snowing, they never come to the door when he has asked.. She has called and either no one answers or if the boy is home he answers and they wont even talk to her on the phone.. she does feed him when he is there at least offers, some of the time he says no but most of the time he does eat. It just seems weird that they know he is at her house all the time but they wont meet her.
    VBM7287

Comment by VBM7287 (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• maybe his parents work all day? Maybe hes not telling them the truth about where hes going.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 5:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Thats possible, she just feels like something is off.. I guess just a gut instinct. I know not everyone parents the same way, but when her kids are out she calls and checks on them or has them call every little while.. she has asked him if he needs to call at all and he can use her phone and he told her they dont care where he is....
    VBM7287

Comment by VBM7287 (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• MAYBE YOU SHOULD TRY TO MEET HIS PARENTS YOU AND YOUR SISTER TO SEE WHATS REALLY GOING ON BECAUSE THEY MAY NOT KNOW WHERE HES GOING EVERYDAY OR THEY MAY JUST NOT CARE
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2011