How long do you cook chicken on the pit?

I have never cooked anything on the pitt before but I thought I'd surprise my husband with some bbq chicken. Its chicken on the bone not chicken breast fillets......thanks ladies I appreciate any help

jbond83

Asked by jbond83 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Just for Fun

• till its white in the middle not pink cut it in its thickest part to check it.. this is with any type of cooking.. the coals have to hot first and the chicken should have aluminum on it sprayed with cooking spray I think you need to baste it so it don't get dry , but you could just rub it with veg oil & seasoning ahead of time.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 6:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You need to cook it a while. Use a knife to make a slit in thick parts and see if it's done on the inside. As long as it's not to close to the fire it wont burn. A squirt bottle of water will help control flame up's
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You might want to precook it. It varies by the size of the bird, the distance and heat of the fire. Slow cooking is much better.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I precook also,putting it on raw, takes too long and the outside tends to burn before the center is done!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• oh no I already put it on the pit. I guess thats what I get for never cooking anything on it. Oh well we elarn from our mistakes I guess. My husband is due home for another hour anyway
    jbond83

Comment by jbond83 (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i also have never cvooked in the pit but i have seen it done very often by the men in my family. It usually takes them about 30 to 40 minutes. if the charcoals are perfectly hot.
    tina701

Answer by tina701 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2011