Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If my 3 yr old child was diagnosed with PDD, who do I call to enroll him in therapy or special classes?

or what do I do, I live in Texas.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (9)
  • You can see if there is a headstart program available. If there is they usually have IEP's and speech therapy available to give the child an early start on education.

    Answer by gemgem at 2:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • I think your pediatrician should help you out there... They should have numbers available who you can call ect.

    Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • Your pede should have given you some numbers to call to get your child enrolled in some program. I had my DD assessed for hearing and she is eligible for services thru the school district. My pede refered the speech therapist, who referred the regional center who sent out a team to evaluate my daughther. They ordered further hearing test and austism assessment and that I am eligble to 10 hours a months of tutoring.

    Answer by vsrillo at 2:49 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • Either your states developemental disability office. Early intervention will do a eval and immediatly get services started for you, or headstart(in our state you have to income qualify, in which case we don't). We use our child developement center for my sons services...they are the ones that conduct all the early intervention services in our state.

    Answer by rennisance at 9:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • Oh! And also check on they will have listing of offices and resources in your community. You can also sign up to receive a 100 day kit, which also includes a lot of info and resources in your area.

    Answer by rennisance at 9:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • rennisance I went to that website but I didnt find the part where it tells me about my area in which I live in, do you know what I can click on?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • You need to call someone through the Itermediate Unit (IU) and they'll direct you through to some classes like Child Alert. My son will be 3 in Feb. and we're doing transition now for school. He had been receiving EI and Wraparound through the home, but as you know, that's up until 3. I must say that I'm a nervous wreck sending my non-verbal, non sociable child to school with a bunch of strangers at such a young age. But, this is the best for him, so hopefully, I make the right choice in choosing a school for him. Good luck to you and stop by and chat anytime. SMILES!!

    Answer by rychele139 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • Go to Autismspeaks, click on resources, then click on the resource guide(a green pic of the U.S.) Click on texas, it will pull up all catagories such as early intervention. Click on the one you want and it will pull up addresses phone numbers ect for all your area resources for your son. Hope that helps you find everything, if you need anymore help you can msg me. Also look into that 100 day kit, they will individualize it just for your son and your area!

    Answer by rennisance at 2:20 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

  • The specialist who diagnosed your son should be able to give you several ideas of where to go. S/he should have told you what the next step was, where to go and what you would be doing to help your son.

    Call the developmental center where your son was diagnosed and ask them for resources, call your pediatrician, call your school district's special education department.

    We're mid-way through evaluations for my son (soon to be 3). He's receiving OT and ST for moderate fine motor skill and speech delays. His OT is the one who recommended we see a neurologist. We did, and he said he had "concerns for PDD-NOS. We're waiting for an MRI, bloodwork and to see an autism specialist. Our pediatrician is sending us to the developmental center for a full developmental evaluation. (that starts in January) The process is so's great you've been able to get through it already!

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:49 AM on Dec. 2, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.