What do you think?

Do you think its wrong to put nail polish on your sons toes and fingernails?
I was painting my nails and both my boys (ages 2 and 4 ) wanted theres done, it was a very light pink, so i did it... not thinking it was a big deal. they are babies. what do you think about this and why do you think its okay or not okay?

dfwhite

Asked by dfwhite at 5:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• no big deal they are babies I would not do it all the time but that one time who cares
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 5:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My DS painted his toenails, fingernails, hands, legs, tiles, and other things. He was 3 at the time. He saw me painting my nails. He was imitating what he saw me do. I was more upset with him painting the bathroom rugs than anything else. Painting his nails was no big thing to me. It comes off easily.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• yeah ,hes a boy
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No. I paint my 3 yr old nails once in a while and her little brother likes to have it down as well. He's almost 2 and to avoid a major freak out I just paint them. No big deal.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I see nothing wrong with it.
    I might suggest they take it off before going any place... but that is just me.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't paint my son's nails because of the fumes but as far as gender stereotypes go I'm not a stickler. If my son is interested in a baby doll it's completely normal. I don't want him growing up to be a certain stereotype of what a man should be. All that matters is that he's happy and healthy. If someone says that it will make ur kid gay they are morons. Kids don't become gay they are born that way.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 5:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• uumm...he's a boy. IMO that's just a big no...my dh would have a heart attack too lol. even now, my kids are 2 and 4, when ds sees his little sister wearing things like bows in her hair, sometimes he asks if he can wear them too, and i just explain to him that girls wear them, boys don't. i mean yeah sometimes he likes to get a laugh and put it on his head, but he knows their for girls and not boys. just like dresses aren't for boys, and heels. BUT if you ask me if he's allowed to play with baby dolls, the answer would be yes. cuz i see nothing wrong with it. he plays those with his sister just as much as she plays cars and trains with him
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My dh would be so upset with me if I did that because that is a girl thing, not for boys. But I would laugh because dh has long hair so my boys are always asking to have a ponytail like daddy.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• im seeing its going 50/50 here. thanks for all your input and thank you for not making smart ass remarks about it. :)
    dfwhite

Comment by dfwhite (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Oh I dunno. Some people can remember back to being 3 years old and wouldn't it kill you if they turned gay and cited you painting their nails pink when they were little as the cause for it? If the boys wanted it done I guess it's fine. The bigger question is what will Dad think?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011