What would you do?

We signed our son up for a Martial Arts program last August. We got in on the back to school special so it was only half the price of the regular class. That ended in february and we looked at a different program and he seemed like he would like it. We went to our first class since the end of february last night. When he got out of class he was in tears and stating that he never wants to go back. The big difference between the programs is the one he was in worked on the techniques but didn't really make the kids do them correctly and not a lot of one on one attention as they would have 20-40 students there ranging in ages from 5-50. This program is a much smaller group and a lot of one on one instruction which will be better in the long run, but they make sure he is doing the moves correctly. He was miserable and I feel that this is something that he definately needs to do because it will benefit him in every aspect of his life. Am I wrong to make him continue. I told him to just give it a chance and if he would like i would consider joining and we could do it together. Is this something that i should push him on or should we let him quit if he just doesn't like it after a couple more weeks. His dad told him to give it two weeks and we would revisit the discussion. My parents never pushed us. If we wanted to quit something then we were allowed to. There are things i wish they would have pushed us on. He is good at Martial Arts and I just don't want him to give up at this point just because this program is different then the other and expect more from him then the other one did. What would you do. He is 8 and I feel that he is at an age that he can learn that when things are hard and we work at it and accomplish our goal we feel good about what ever it was. What would you do if this was your child.

sonsmom

Asked by sonsmom at 5:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We started our kids in Taekwondo last May. At first, they both hated it. Our school is so awesome though, that the instructor had a meeting with us and talked about how we can get them more interested and enjoying it. They want the kids to learn that focus and confidence and self discipline and defense, of course, but it's really important for them to enjoy it, too. He offered the kids private lessons, which they enjoyed. Then my husband and I started taking the adult classes, so they now take two classes a week, we take two classes a week, and on a third day, we all take a family class together. Now my kids (5 and 8 years old) both LOVE it. They also have different things they do to keep kids motivated and interested, like parent nights out and glow in the dark weapons, and also different stripes on their belts for different accomplishments. They go to Victory Martial Arts who have several schools in different states.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would have him finish out the current session, then when it comes time to reregister see if he wants to quit or continue. This way you're not wasting money.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I'd tell him to try again just as you have done. He will get used to it after a few classes. How long does it run? If its just ike 8weeks or something then I'd have my child finish it all out then decide to sign up again or not. If its a really long class such as a few months or more then I'd allow them to quit after a few sessions. I think that is how I would handle it with my child if this ever occurs with us.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I never took lessons in any martial arts. I took piano lessons. At first, they were fun. After a while it became boring. I shed a lot of tears because I hated taking the time to practice. I took lessons for 4 years. At the end of 3 years, I was really beginning to understand how everything came together. I fell in love with playing the piano. I never went any further than 4 years because my teacher decided to retire. Many parents today believe that if their kid doesn't like it don't push it on them. I have never understood this philosophy. It teaches kids to be quitters. One day, everything will all make sense and then they will really begin to enjoy it.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 6:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It can depend so much on the instructor's attitude. Some are not too good with kids. I would ask him to go the two weeks and then if he is still not happy let him drop out. If he were older I would expect him to stick it out. JMO
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011