Is this B.S. or what?

I have heard some girls (not on here) say that they are too small to have a vaginal delivery. (I am not talking about in the case of a large baby or extremely skinny woman either) Really? Ligaments stretch and so does the vaginal walls! I am so tired of women claiming they have such a small "area" and that it's not possible! I have heard this from men too then later find out from the woman that it was due to other reasons that they needed a c-section. What is the deal? Is there something I don't know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Even with very thin women and large babies they can deliver vaginally usually. There are times when the woman's pelvis is too small for a vaginal delivery, even with a small or average sized baby, but it's not very common.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• The pelvis being too small does exist. The vaginal opening (the hole) being to small however is crap. There is no way of knowing if it will stretch enough until you have the baby. Even then, it wouldn't prevent you from delivering vaginally. They have episiotomies for that. If it doesn't seem to be stretching enough, you will either tear to make room for the baby to come out or the doctor will cut you.
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My mother's pelvis never set properly and she was too small, it exists.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 6:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It's not the size of the vagina or vaginal walls, it's the pelvic bones that can be too small to allow the baby to pass through. And having a small pelvis has nothing to do with the size of the woman. A skinny woman can have a wide pelvis region and a large woman vice versa, etc.
    lore_tex

Answer by lore_tex at 6:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• MY bony structure was too small to allow either of my kids to pass through. My son was an emergency C-section and my daughter was a planned. While pregnant with her we went to the doctor that delivered my son and asked about a VBAC. She gave us a 50/50 chance of delivering naturally. We chose the elective C-section.

My son was 8 lbs 1 oz and 21 inches (or so)
    My daughter was 7 lbs 10 oz and 20.5 inches (or so)
    BOTH kids' heads were the same circumference at birth. I don't remember that measurement now.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• the pelvis can be too small, but not the vaginal opening. my mom's pelvis was too small for me, and i was able to vaginally deliver my first child but not my middle daughter who had a birthweight of 10.2 pounds. when she came out after the c-section and i looked at her head circumference, i was kinda relieved lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Its true. With my cousin and her 2 births the babies couldn't get out once they crowned. She was cut ALOT and they took them by vacuum

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yes it does exist. My sister Dr told her that is was possible that her pelvis was too small for a vaginal delivery. She end up with 1 c-section and 2 VBAC. The c-section was due to the baby being in distress after a long labor and the cord being wrap around his neck.

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• yes it does exist..i went throught that with my daughter....so i guess until u really experience it yourself then you would know...!
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• True, it's near impossible to be "too" small.
    If the woman had an illness, accident, genetic issue then it's possible.
    True CPD is uncommon.
    Although yes, women are told they "can't" fairly often.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2011