How do you other stay at home moms stay sane?

I been home for over a year from a lil bit before the pregnancy till now my baby is going on three months and im only 19years old but i know my most important job is taking care of my son but i sometimes feel i should be working a really job or going to school and really doing something more like i would have been . IDK sometimes i feel like im not doing much with my life i just wonder how other SAHM deal with this ?

firstimemommy21

Asked by firstimemommy21 at 6:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• The answer I was going to give will now be different based on how young you are.

You might find the change harder than most because of your age, you are not only giving up the life you knew but the life most others have as a teenager. You probably will see this as more of a sacrifice than most sahms because you ARE sacrificing more than the women who are older than you. They had their fun, they had their growing up years, college, dating, etc. This IS a huge sacrifice for you more than most.... but you know in your heart it is for your child..,. keep strong. You are doing right by your baby... keep that forefront in your mind.

Anonymous

• I have a punching bag in the basement, every other day I take out my frustrations on it, plus its a good work out
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You have to find time for yourself, whether your single with no kids or you have 50 kids. Just taking time everyday to do something for yourself to regroup, unwind or just forget all the demands of motherhood for a little while makes you a better person and makes you a better mom to your baby.
    I find it really helpful to find something around the house or the yard that I love that I can do. I love gardening and landscaping, baking(special stuff, not just for the family and giving it away).
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 6:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You need something that is 100% yours. It never invloves the kids or your SO, if you have one. Sometimes I feel like I have lost all identity. Like there is no me anymore--only the wife and the mama. Maybe you feel the same way I do. That being said, I have hobbies that I enjoy. This might make me sound like I am in the 3rd grade, but I like to pen pal. I like sitting down at the kitchen table at night when the kids have gone to bed and the house is quiet and write a letter to a friend. I have a very good friend from Germany whom I have written to for a good number of years now. http://www.interpals.net is a good site. Also http://www.swap-bot.com is another good one.

CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 6:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I know exactly how you feel. I say maybe start a few college courses and you will feel SO much better about yourself. If you take them online, you will still be able to stay home with your baby & do something to help your self esteem :) Once I got into school, I felt SO much better. This quarter I had to take off to have surgery & recover, and OMG! I feel like I'm doing nothing as well. Being a stay at home mom isn't for some people. My mom has never worked a job outside of the home (she does daycare) and she's completely happy with her life !!! It just depends on the person. I've never been a home body, so staying home isn't my thing. Good Luck & Take Care
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I'm in kind of the same situation as you except I'm a little older but I started being a SAHM at 19. I do cafemom,I read,I cook,I've tried to pick up another language,I walk and am seriously considering taking an online class this summer. A lot I think sometimes that it just comes with the job of being a SAHM.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 6:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• well everyones personality is different and alot of us sahm prob wonder how you can go to work everyday im not a working person you its each to there own thats just like they have diff jobs out there cuz not everyone can do the same thing and if u did mean being a sahm isnt a real job you need to give yourself more credit alot of times its hard then the so called real jobs and those days end being a mom doesnt
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 6:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have so many hobbies from staying home all the time, but now that my children are getting older and I have to take them places more (baseball practice, park, bday parties), I have a lot less time to do something for myself. I pretty much rearrange my house one room at a time every month or so, so I don't have to look at the same thing all the time and it gives me an excuse for deep cleaning and to get rid of the clutter. I also bake and make goodies (I sew & cross stitch) and give them away!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I got out of the house as much as I could. Walking around a mall, going to library's story hour when the baby was old enough, visiting with friends, going to my relative's for a few days when my husband traveled, etc. I hope you have some friends with babies. You can try meetup.com for play groups and moms groups. Or you might look at care.com if you want to try some sort of part time job. There are 4-5 job categories.........It is not only childcare. And the baby could go with you to some. Use the pulldown to see the categories. I wish you all the best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• it may seem like your not doing much with your life, but the reality is you doing the MOST IMPORTANT job of your life! Just try to get out and about more....keep busy, being a stay at home Mom you really need to make sure you get your own time also!!! As much as possible !!! When my husband used to get home from work every other day or so I would just get in the car and leave, even if it was only to go up the road and sit in starbucks for an hour and have some quiet "me" time....it works wonders! I am not sure your situation if your married etc but if you can do that you should.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2011