My 2 1/2 year old is struggling with hitting-any ideas?

He mostly hits when he is mad at us (me, my other 4 1/2 year old, etc...).

AidansAZMOM

Asked by AidansAZMOM at 6:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ahhhh Sweet baby, she does't understand hu? A clearly marked time out spot each time. She will stop in no time.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Along with time out it can help tons to make sure he gets positive attention regularly too. And praise when he does things right.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• When my dd was hitting I would move her away from us tell her no hitting and we would continue on with what we were doing and ignore her. Now that she is a little older she has timeouts. She dosen't hit nearly as often and it is also when she is angry. I make a point of telling her that she may not hit her brother or sister because they are very special to me and she may not treat them that way. It also helps the other hurt child to know that they are special to you and you will not stand for anyone hurting them. Once she was settled and appologised she would get to join us again in what we were doing.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I think it must be the age thing because my 2 and a half year old is doin the same. I just keep telling him no. I try to redirect him....few times I actually hit him back( not hard of course) and he was confused :))) He's hitting less everyday.
    MommyOK

Answer by MommyOK at 8:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Time out maybe lol
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2011