Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child passport question....

Can my husband stop his ex from getting a passport for his son to leave the country?? I know that she can get an emergency passport, I don't know how she can do it without Daddy but knowing her she has a way. How can my Husband make sure his son does not leave the country. It's bad enough she refuses to let my husband speak to or even see his child.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Travel

Answers (5)
  • She cant get one. There are new laws in place to prevent that. He has to sign off on the paperwork for her to get one. And I think it has to be in person or notorized which means he would have to show ID to prove it was him.
    If she does leave the country all he has to do is file a missing child report and theyll issue an amber alert and file for emergency custody which would be granted. Most other countries return the child (unless its the middle east or something) because the US has agreement in place for this. When she would be found she would be charged with kidnapping.

    Answer by gemgem at 2:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • if they both have custody she wont get a passport without the fathers signature. not even an emergency passport

    Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • She can get a passport, but that doesn't automatically mean she can leave the country with him. For example, we live in WA state. I'm married, my dh is the father of our kids, there isn't any custody situation. I still had to have a notarized letter from my dh saying I was able to take our kids into Canada without him - that he knew I was taking them out of the country and he was ok with it. lol - even when it was to go up there to meet him for a weekend in Victoria :-) Without the letter, I would have had to prove I had sole custody and the father had had his parental rights revoked.

    I don't know how that works as far as plane tickets and stuff though, so far, I haven't done that without him.

    BUT - for something this serious, I would contact a lawyer / legal aide (some of them are pretty cheap/ get paid on a slide scale), and make SURE you can keep him in the US where you can see him...

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:47 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • to clarify - I mean she can get a passport (with his help), but that still doesn't automatically mean she can use it.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:48 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • If he is not seeing his child he needs to petition the court for help so she doesn't move to another state let alone leave the country. I wouldn't let her get away with her petty BS.


    Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.