My 1 year old keeps feeding my black lab/golden mix anything and everything.

The dog is getting fat! It's so unhealthy for a dog to be fat and I don't want her to get sick, but all I have to do is close my eyes for a second (read:blink) and my dog is sampling whatever is on the menu and my baby is squealing with joy.
any ideas?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:39 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pets

• ahhh kids and dogs a perfect match, i have to put my dog outside anytime i feed my 19 month old, because he will give everything to the dog, and my marley started gaining too much weight.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:17 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My boys did the same thing!! LOL The laughter and the giggles are just adorable but the poor dogs pay for it.. I would try to teach the dog not to take it. And tell your 1yrold not to give to the dog. I used to put my dogs outside when it was meal time and that helped a lot. If it was bad weather outside then I would just yell at the dogs to get away. And tell my boys it's their food not the dogs food but they were too young to get it. LOL
    MamiSanford

Answer by MamiSanford at 2:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My son loves to feed the cats. He will sit in his booster and drop whatever he is eating on the floor for them. He laughs like crazy!!! He thinks its even funnier when it lands ON them. We started putting them outside when the baby eats. Its just easier. Could you put your dog outside or in another room when the baby eats?
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 2:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• LOL I caught my ds feeding my lab crayons one day. The dog was just eating them up like they were treats! Try getting the dog a big cage and keep him in while you are eating. I got my lab (who is HUGE) a extra large cage for around $80. You can also try craigslist.
    Anonymous

• It's true that it is unhealthy for a dog to be fat but not only that to much 'people' food can cause other intestinal problems or pancreatitis as well. Try putting the pup away in a bed room or outside while you feed baby. I know it seems mean but if you are worried about your dogs health it may be the way to go because there is no stopping baby from offering.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008