Is it wrong to be strict w/ family when your child has severe food allergies?

triplettmama06

Asked by triplettmama06 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

• helllll no
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• no
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• No it's not wrong. Food allergies can kill a child.  That is your child and it's you job to keep them safe even if it's from family. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Depends what you're referring to...
    I would NOT require them to change their whole family holiday meal for ONE child. You can request (or offer to bring) a particular meal for the child but I wouldn't go without turkey on Thanksgiving just because you're a vegetarian.

However, if the meal is at YOUR house, you make the rules! Eat what YOU eat. If they don't like it, they can bring their own or LEAVE!
    MoNKeyBoyz

Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 7:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• What do you mean by strict?

TO answer your question - if you're asking for "reasonable" accommodations to keep your daughter safe and they aren't 'getting it' by ALL means be strict. If you're asking for above and beyond compliance, you may want to look to compromise where you can.

My DD has severe food allergies. We do expect people to limit their consumption of their allergens around her, to clear food they offer to her with us first an to clean up after themselves thoroughly. we do not, however, ask them to eliminate all use of her allergens when we're not there or even, since she's contact and ingestion reactive not airborne per se, eliminating all consumption when she's around. She's 6 1/2 and capable of advocating for herself too, fwiw.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thanks Everyone for your great anwers!!!! I feel vindacated>. The family said I was too Strict, I don't ask for them to change a meal for my child, yet I do REQUIRE that they clear W/ me before giving ANY of my triplets food or drink. Since one has EXTREME sensitivity to nuts & soy And most foods contain these items ,I'm very vidulant. All Three are sensitive to junk food if given more than a little and at family functions 98% feel they sould be able to feed my children w/o my approval and ALWAYS try to feed them when I walk out of the room and have told me its only a liitle. So ,the last time I stated that if basics can't be followed then they will not be allowed atround the kids since, NON are willing to take my job and sit up all night when ALL 3 cry and it takes 3-4 days to get them back on track. Iwas calles unreasonable and a total ****** you can imagine. Thanks for the support!!!
    triplettmama06

Comment by triplettmama06 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• ITS GOOD TO BE STRICT YOU WANNA ?
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:35 AM on Apr. 16, 2011