What do you think about putting daughter on BC when she turns 16?

Most parents believe that if you put your child on BC you are giving them the ok to have sex. I don't see it that way. Now a days, your kids are more than likely going to have sex in high school no matter how well you think you brought them up. First, you need to have "the talk", probably before high school or before they start their period. Discuss with them the importance of using protection not only to prevent pregnancy but to prevent STIs. Then I believe once they get into high school or when they are 16 they should take BC. I would not want my daughter to end up pregnant in high school.

When I was in hs, one of my best friends lost her virginity when she was 13!!! Her mom was very strict yet very naive. She grew up in church and thought her precious little daughter would never have sex before marriage. I don't think her mom found out she had had sex until she was a senior in hs or after we graduated. I'm about to graduate from nursing school and one thing about nursing is prevention prevention prevention. That is what I see having "the talk" and putting my child on BC would be, prevention.

How do you feel about the subject?

Jillian529

Asked by Jillian529 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• oh hell no.

I HAVE a 16 yr old and there is no way I will just put her on for no reason other than her age. And as far as have "the talk"... if you are have THE talk.. meaning one... then YOU are not doing your job! It should be an on going CONVERSATION... not just one talk. My daughter and I touch on the subject often. She will hear a rumor at school and ask me my thoughts. We will watch a show and she will ask me my thoughts... and I always make sure to ask her what HER thoughts are on the subject too.

Anonymous

• personally I wish there was a way to sneak birth control into my girls as soon as they start their periods! It's timed so we know when to expect it and there would be next to NO chance for teen pregnancy.. sigh..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have boys so my answer is probably a little different. Obviously the first thing is to start taking early and often about sex, relationships, respect for self and others, pesonal responsibility, goal setting, future aspirations...all of these things should be talked about in one form or another to help a child understand all the varies aspects of life and how they can all interwine and various points. You continue to share your thoughts on things, expectations, boundaries etc and in the end you pray that they make good choices, whether that to use protection or wait. For me I have taught my boys how girls emotions are different when it comes to sex and relationships because they need to understand the potential impact to someone else.
    My oldest is 16 and we talk about sex regularly. I do buy condoms - he has yet to use them and has told me multiple times he's not ready (he said he has a gentleman's fear of intimacy).
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Better safe than sorry
    I am not planning to be a granny while my daughters are still in their teens.
    Teen pregnancies may be at a low but teens still get pregnant.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would, I was put on birth control at 15 and I did not have my first child until 28 when I made a conscious decision to get pregnant. My mom and I had many talks, she is a social worker so she knows all about teen pregnancy and she had my oldest brother when she was 16. What she did not want to do is repeat the cycle, and I lied, she asked me if I was having sex and I lied, and lied and lied some more. I have a great mother, but I was never going to tell her I was having sex and started at 14. To this day she never needs to know that. So with my daughter, I will have many talks with her, to make sure she knows about STIs and condoms and self respect, but I also will get her birth control. Because no matter how close i think we will be, I am still her mother, and she will still lie to me.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You do make sense, but I waited until mine left for college.

Answer by older at 7:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i would before that , the majority will be having sex , lets be realistic.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• When girls start going boy crazy. Put them on some form of BC.

Answer by louise2 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I didn't mean just one talk. Of course, it's an ongoing conversation. My mom and I have always been very very close and I have always told her everything. Everything except when I decided to have sex for the first time. I was 16, had been with the same guy for 9 months, and decided I was ready. I'm not sure why I didn't tell my mom. She always told me that whenever I decided I wanted to have sex to tell her so we could go to the doctor and get on BC. She found out I had sex the day I had sex and was furious with me. We had the continuous conversation about sex and I too would ask her questions about things. She thought when I decided I was ready I would tell her but I didn't. A lot of teenagers don't PLAN on having sex for the first time. They get caught up in the moment and it happens. They don't think about "oh, I should tell my mom before I do this so I can get on BC and be protected" Teenagers are spontaneous and
    Jillian529

Comment by Jillian529 (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• reguardless of how close you are to them or how much they talk to you about things, there is still a huge chance that they will have sex without telling you. Why not prevent it if you can?
    Jillian529

Comment by Jillian529 (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011