Were you the bully or the one being bullied?

My little girl is in the 1st grade and said a 3rd graded keeps picking on her. I wanted to tell her just to walk away and tell at teacher but I couldn't. I told her the next time the girl touches her to go off and knock her out. I was the victimof a bully when I was in school. I don't want my kid pick on but, I'm not sure if I told her that to protect her or to avenge me.

BillieHolidae

Asked by BillieHolidae at 7:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I was both. I was picked on and picked on and finally one day I picked back and made those girls cry their eyes out!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Amen.
    Once a boy in the 6th grade hit the back of my chair (teacher out of the room). I "fought him"-i dont remember cuz i blackout during fights- but the class was cheering for me when it was over so i guess i did good? lol..Then in the 7th grade-new school- a boy made fun of me in my ear- just a whisper- and i went OFF on him making it loud & clear I dont take crap from anyone..
    My parents taught us to never hurt anyone. be kind to all.. But dont EVER let anything think they can bully you in anyway. Dont start to the fight but if punches are thrown- win...
    It was a joke in our house if we got bullied/beat up.. we would get it again when we got home. And we didnt want to know what would happen if we where the bully..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• we told our kids the same thing.... dont ever start a fight... but you have our blessing to end it.

my son had a kid verbally annoy him for years finally the twit kicked him... and our son hit the kid so hard he went down with one punch.  The kid NEVER talked to him again.  Our son didnt get in any trouble with us.

Anonymous

• I was told by a much bigger girl to meet her behind the gym or she would find me so I had to meet her. She pushed me around and hit me closed fisted one time on my forehead. After that we became friends (seems to always happen that way). I always get my revenge. But the one that stands out the most was when an older boy thought it would be funny to play titty twister on me (I had large boobs). In case you don't know what that is it's where the boy twists your nipple until you whistle. Well it's hard to whistle when your nipple is being twisted. So I grabbed his junk and told him to whistle. That one still makes me laugh.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Neither really....I've never been the type of person to make fun of other people or want to hurt them emotionally or physically and I was the class clown all through school so most people liked me
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Both. When I was young, we were very poor. I was the skinny girl with bad hair (cause my mom didn't know what to do with it) and hand me down boy's clothes. By the time I was in middle school I was past that and buying my own clothes, doing my own hair... And passed on the grief I had dealt with for years... In HS I was just a bitch.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I was bullied as an adult. Isn't that so sad that it does not end at puberty? I do not have any advice except I have information. The bully wants control and uses force to get what he or she wants. The bully's intent is to upset and see a person feel horrible. Do not engage actively in conversation with the bully. The victim has the choice and the control not to respond or to say something totally ridiculous so that it throws the bully off. You get me? Do not give the bully what he or she wants. As a 1st grader, I am sorry. I know the pressure of being bullied as an adult and I feel bad for kids going thru this. Gl mama.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• OMT Take this information and work out a plan with your daughter. Now that you are inside the bullies head, you can come up with a plan on how to react. Look into some websites if you like. You should role play with your dd if it helps.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 7:00 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I was bullied all of my school years, I dropped out of school at 16 when I was pregnant and married, because of the bullies. Teachers and students were part of it. I was scared to loose my baby so I quit. I was a skinny girl with health issues. I hated the school and the teachers for it. I am glad that teachers are now alot kinder than they were back then. You need to talk to your DD's teachers and if that doesn't help then, talk to the principal and go as far as you need to go.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• Neither, I never picked on anyone and I was never picked on but I saw it happen a lot.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2011