SHOULD YOU SPANK YOUR CHILD?

I HAVE A ONE YEAR OLD WHO GETS IN A LOT OF THINGS......BUT SHES REALLY SMART SHE KNOWS WHAT "STOP AND NO" MEANS SO SHOULD I GIVE HER A LITTLE TAP ON THE HAND OR KEEP REPEATING MYSELF?

KColeman90

Asked by KColeman90 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it's fine to swat a child on the hand if what they are doing is a physical danger to themselves or others. For the most part I rely on immediate consequences to do the teaching. For example, let them burn thier hand on the stove or brake a lamp. If they color all over the walls I make them scrub it clean with the magic eraser! But if they try to cross the street without holding my hand. I will swat them on the bottom. I can't let them get hit by a car to learn this lesson!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 11:08 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I used a tap on the hand at that age, well, starting when they were crawling, if I had to keep redirecting them from the same thing, like after 4 or so times. I also used it immediately if there were going to do something that would hurt themselves, such as pull something off of a table or whatnot. In those instances there isn't time to redirect over and over. Kids are smart cookies. They know what they are doing and they know what stop and no mean.
    Anonymous

• A swat on the hand and redirect her attention somewhere else.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My 2 yr old do get his hand popped sometimes. all kids are different and respond to discipline differntly. Do I spank all the time? No.
    I say it's your kid so discipline in whatever YOU see fit. Ppl have been getting spanking for centuries. It's not like you beating them or abusing them, its a pop on the hand.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 9:23 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Tap on the hand is good, that's what I do with my 4 year old.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• YES I WASNT SURE IF I WAS BEING MEAN AND TAKING IT TO THE EXTREME OR WHAT
    KColeman90

Comment by KColeman90 (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• THATS EXACTLY WHAT I DO BUT I DIDNT KNOW IF SHE WAS TOO YOUNG FOR IT YET
    KColeman90

Comment by KColeman90 (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• There really is no need for a slap on the hand. Redirect her and supervise her play. Babies this age need constant supervision and direction. Teach her positive things, make her your "big helper" for all sorts of things like loading the dryer, swiffering, folding clothes, etc. Plus praise her when she does things right.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I DO REDIRECT HER TO OTHER THINGS BUT IT SEEMS LIKE SHE MAKES HER WAY RIGHT BACK AND WHEN SHE DOES I GET HER HAND THEN I EXPLAIN AND HUG HER AND KISS HER AND SHE DOES IT NO MORE. SO I GUESS IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE CHILD BUT THAT IS A REALLY GOOD ANSWER
    KColeman90

Comment by KColeman90 (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• EXACTLY SO THATS WHY I SPANK HER HAND AND I DONT DO IT HARD JUST A LITTLE TAP SO SHE CAN UNDERSTAND I MEAN NO!
    KColeman90

Comment by KColeman90 (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2011