Just wanted some opinions....

I was wondering what other families have done?

I want to move my DD to a toddler bed (actually just convert). She will be 3 in a few months. I wanted to do it at the age of 2 but her Dad asked to wait one more year, and since we were moving I agreed to wait until she settled into our new home. He is still a little weary about making this transition as am I but I think that it is about time that we do it.

My MIL believes that we need to wait until she is night time potty trained. She is almost daytime trained all on her own. I think that if we wait that long she will be 4 by the time she is out of her crib. She believes that if we give her that "freedom" then she will not sleep anymore and be in her room playing when it is bedtime or be up wandering the house in the middle of the night. I had planned on putting a gate at her bedroom door so that she can't get out.

I believe that my SO will side with his mother on this one and I plan on fighting to get my DD out of a crib this summer. I was just wondering if any other families exist that have waited this long or if we are just a really weird family?

Sorry this was so long.

coala

Asked by coala at 8:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, i give my kids a 'regular' bed when they're fully potty trained. i usually give them a toddler bed when they're around 2. i'm really suprised that a 3yo will stay in a crib lol. if you want to wait until she is fully potty trained i would just give her a big girl bed since a toddler bed is the same size as a crib....then she would only have 1 transition to go through.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• my ds was in a toddler bed at 18 mos
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I moved my daughter into a twin bed when she was 22 months old.. my oldest we waited a bit longer just because. its pretty normal to wait and actually odd to do it so soon, no worries
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My kids were fairly young in comparison going into their big kid beds, before they were 2. They were not potty trained, or night trained for that matter and they never really had issues with getting out of bed. We have a gate at the stairs so that when they wake up they can come to our room. Be warned though this can give her some time to have fun if you're a heavy sleeper. I woke one morning to my 2 kids making a pool in dd's room. They were filling cups of water and dumping them on the floor in her room, lol This morning I woke to my 3 yo wearing makeup. I must have left my mascara on the counter and she thought it was lip gloss and had black lips! lol But these are also the fun things you can look back on later and laugh. My son would get up and put my heels on, dh loved that one!
    It's really up to you though.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Honstly I am in the same position as you I want to move my daughter to a toddler bed she will be 3 in september. But her daddy also wants to wait too. We are also in the process in working on the potty-training with her. But I feel you should do what you feel like doing. I mean if she is fully potty-trained during the day then the night should come along real quick. It is up to you and your dh. And I think a gate in her room would do real good.
    acruz86

Answer by acruz86 at 9:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I put my oldest in a regular twin size bed when he was 2. Never had any problems. I'll do the same with my youngest.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• WE moved at 18 months. She was trying to climb into her crib.

She was not potty trained at all.

As for getting out of bed, I started her with taking naps in the toddler bed. At night, I would sit with her until she would fall asleep. Every 3 nights or so, I would move my chair closer to the door until I would just put her down and leave the room. If she fussed, I would check on her at 5 minutes, then 10 more, then 15 more...it only took 5 nights for her to go to sleep without me checking on her.

I never used a gate. She should feel that if she needs to get to mommy, that she can and is not locked in her room. I never had a problem since when she would get up, I would take her back in there. It's part of training her to stay in bed. Just stay consistant.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I feel that I need to add that I work 4 nights a week so Daddy will have to be in charge.
    coala

Comment by coala (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• my kids were in toddler beds when they started walking well
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I heard when they start walking is the best time
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:30 AM on Apr. 13, 2011