Bilingual Familys with boys

Around what age did you son start talking? My son ist 18 month old and don't really talk. He says toot toot for car and can bark. He understands what I am saying and He babbles (sp?). He don't even say mama. My girls spoke at least some words around that age. I have an appointment with his dr. tomorrow. I am trying not to worry but I just can't help it.

Mamivon3

Asked by Mamivon3 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Boys are slower when it comes to talking than girls are. We girls are just more vocal than boys. Its normal. If he was not vocalizing at all then Id be worried. He sounds normal.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• vbruno is right they are slower than girls.

Answer by older at 8:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My first son didnt start talking until he was almost three... as far as biligual younger brother is in a biligual home and it's really slowing down his speech.... he unserstands both languages but he doesnt talk much... but as far as i'm aware children being brought up with two languages can have that happen, but in the long run its great for the child to know both. Your doc will know if its ok or not.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It's really different with each child. They say boys on average start speeking later. I do believe having more than one language may delay a bit ....but if he understands you.....and tries to communicate I wouldn't worry to much just yet. Also If you are really concerned...bring it up with his PED.......check his hearing. But 18 months I don't think is a problem.
    MommyOK

Answer by MommyOK at 9:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It takes some time for the brain to separate the 2 languages. However, trust your gut feeling, if you think your son has a problem, get it checked out. My pediatrician has told me the range of "normal" is pretty wide for children, but dont' underestimate that mom instinct.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• thank you guys. I will def. ask the PED tomorrow, even if it's just to calm my worries.
    Mamivon3

Comment by Mamivon3 (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I talk to my son in English and Spanish all the time but he is only picking up the english so far but I put a lot of shows on in spanish for him it seems like he will do well
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2011