Preparing for breast feeding adult content

Im only 5 months pregnant im due in aug. but i had a horrible time breastfeeding my first baby so i was just wondering is there any way to prepare my nipples starting now someone told me to grap a rough wash cloth and rubb my nipple or kind pull and twist so that my nipple actualy stays out and gets tough others have told me to have my husband suck them?? so any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• you shouldn't really do alot of nipple manipulation when you're pregnant, it can cause contractions. you could take a breast feeding class at your hospital and then you will learn better nursing techniques and also have a support system if things are not going so well.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I read that nipple stimulation could cause early contraction. You might want to read up on that. I know exactly what you are talking about. It was extremely difficult for me with the first one, it was toe-curlingly painful. I stuck it out, I don't remember how long, but it worked out and I breastfed for 7-8 months. With the second one, the adjustment period was still there, but within 1 week, the skin/nipples toughened up, and you kind of remember the feeling of when a baby latched on correctly and more importantly, you are much more relaxed the second time around. Just remember, you and the baby need some time to sync up. Give it a few weeks if you can hang on. But at the end, even if you can't breastfeed, it's OK. A happy, relaxed mom is the best thing for the baby.
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Do not try to condition your nipples because it can cause contractions or early labor. Have some lansinoh breast cream (sold at Target in the baby section, purple box) and a proper latch are key. With my first, I had to sit straight up and hold the baby straight across in front of me. It will hurt at first,but only for a few days. That cream will help a ton with the soreness. Good luck and if you end up stopping, it is ok! What't important is that you tried!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• There is no reason to prepare your nipples. Just EDUCATE yourself as much as possible. Nipples should not hurt other than slight soreness at first when nursing. If you have REAL pain then the latch is probably wrong. just unlatch and try again.

Take a class, talk to a lactation consultant, read books, etc.

I had a hard time with my first too. It took a LOT of work to breastfeed sucessfully. With my second baby things went MUCH more smoothly.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 1:20 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• For me breastfeeding was very painful the first several weeks. My nipples were on fire. It made my toes curl up everytime the baby latched on. I don't agree with people who say, if it hurts you aren't doing it right. Think of how often you have to feed your baby those first few days. How could they not be sore? My nurse also told me, it can be painful at first, but it gets better. She said she remembered being really sore too. Lactation consultants will stand by you and tell you it is wrong if it hurts and try to relatch them on multiple times. I found that annoying. There is nothing really you can do now to prepare, just set a goal for yourself of how long you will try it for and challenge yourself to not get frustrated with it and hang in there. It does get easier. Also, if anything you could try nipple shields. My sister used them with both babies.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 10:24 AM on Apr. 13, 2011