How many times should parents do non child related activities a week?

My friend has the busiest social life that I have ever seen. She has something planned almost every day of the week with her friends. Sometimes 2 to 3 activities a day. But they're grown up activities. I know that sometimes she doesn't take her child but I don't know how often. But even when she does take her, there are no other kids and they're not doing anything that her daughter would find slightly interesting. I very rarely make plans with friends that don't have children because I don't think it's fair. When adults are with other adults, they're in grown up mode and aren't playing with the children that are just along for the ride. I think she's doing to much. I've tried dropping hits but haven't told her straight out. I value her friendship and the friendship our children have and don't want to jeopardize that. I was wondering how many times a week you think parents should engage in non children activities.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• as often as they can so they don't use baby talk with their friends and start referring to urine as "pee-pee" to other adults lol
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Depends on the parent. Myself . . . I do about one a month, MAX, and it always includes my husband. I always tell people that I wouldn't have made the decision to get married and have kids if I still wanted to hang out with the girls. I take my comittment to my family very seriously.

Then again, I was older when I got married and started a family, so I had more than enough "me" time.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• unless you think that she is neglecting or hurting her daughter then i say mind your own business. my mom did alot of things with her friends that me and my sister didn't find interesting, but it was not a big deal. i don't have much of a life so i don't really do many things at all. i don't think that one way is better than the other.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Aside from work hardly ever. I'd rather be doing stuff with my kids and dh if possible. Sounds like someone needs a priority check.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Outside of professional development stuff i go to a speaker about once every three months.

I work full time so i wouldn't be able to keep my house together if i did'nt stay home during non-work times.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It doesn't hurt ANYONE least of a child for their parents to do non child related activities. I do non child related activities at least once a week.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Not often. My friends and I usually make time to leave the kiddo's with our SO's so we can go to lunch or something. I am actually hanging with some girls from work tomorrow for the first time and that will be a non kid related activity, though they wouldn't mind if I brought her along.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I rarely do non-child things..
    but i think a kid can have alot of fun if only adults are around.. Usually that kid gets the attention of all the adults..and if not, its good to learn ur not the center of the world. and the child can realize their mom is *gasp* a real person.. not just someone who cares for them..
    Atleaste the mom does do some things the child enjoys. There are plenty of moms out there that still think THEY (the mom) is center of the world & the child gets NOTHING.
    And id rather the mom carry the child around with her than try pawning the kid off any grandparent/friend/babysitter/nanny available.
    :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I know a woman from my sons school and she is always writing about going out and drinking. I am like, really??? Seriously??? Spend time with your kids.

Maybe it is a maturity level.

Also, I think "princess beth" didn't have to be so rude. You could have said it in a nicer way.

Maybe, next time your friend asks if you want to go out...tell her, "I would love to, but I feel spending time with my family is important."
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My daughter LOVES hanging out with me and my best friend. So there is once a month that she is just hanging with us with no other kids around. My son and husband are always out and about doing the things that he needs to do and not always playing. We are not around other families with children my kids ages, so they get to hang with us. I don't see the problem, it is just the life she lives.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011