Does loosing the mucus plug mean anything? adult content

I think I lost my mucus plug this afternoon. I had an OB check today and she checked if I was dilated, which she did the last time as well. Nothing happened when I got home last time but this time I think the second? time I went to the bathroom, I noticed a big glob on the toilet paper. At first I thought maybe it was the stuff she put on her finger, but I don't think it is. I showed my husband and as gross as it was, we looked online for pictures. We saw one or two that looked exactly like what we saw. It's not blood tinged and today at the appt., she said I was still long, so probably only 1 cm. dilated.

So does losing the mucus plug mean anything? Should I let the OB know just in case?

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• it just means that labor will be starting in the next week.

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• you could let them know, it will not hurt to do that. it doesn't really mean anything. they grow doesn't mean you're on the verge of labor or anything like that

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• You could let them know... but its just a natural step in the process... it's your body getting ready for labor. I dont know how true this is but I heard that after you lose your plug you should go into labor within 48 hours or something like that. and as far as how dialated you were at your appt could rapidly change at any time.

Answer by Finkette at 9:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It is a pre labour sign, your body is getting ready, how many weeks are you? It can happen days before you go into labour in many cases.

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I'm 35 1/2 weeks. My son was born at 36 weeks, via emergency c-section, but I was leaking fluid prior and his heart beat went down fast. So that's a different story. But the OB said she definitely doesn't think I'd be going past my due date or maybe even to it since he was early.

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• well in light of the new information I would definatly call the doc in the morning to precautions can be taken if neccessary.

Answer by Finkette at 9:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• lol. sorry about that...I was told previously that she could go full term easily since he had the issues they didn't consider it pre-term labor. But then today she said she doesn't think this baby would go past full term because of how I had the first child.

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• How soon after my mucus plug passes will labor begin?
    Passing a mucus plug is a sign that your cervix is dilating and your body is starting to prepare for birth. Labor could be hours, days, or even weeks away as the cervix gradually opens over time.

For me I lost mine or atleast part of mine a week prior to labor. Good luck it sound like yours need to cook alittle long and still could from what I have read.

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 9:38 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I am 35 weeks and I lost mine 5 days ago. still nothing the doctor said it's no big deal and it's the body's way of flushing out infection
    and no indication of labor

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My friend was a 4 on thurs and didn't go into labor until Monday. So there is no way to predict it.

Answer by aprilavenmarg at 10:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2011