Very sobering...

A friend emailed me this. With all the hoopla going on today I found it very sobering.  I thought I would share.

I suppose I need a question..would being presented with this type of scenario make you feel a little differently about the pledge or the flag?

Or...please just share your thoughts...

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 8:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank you!! It is very sobering indeed. What I find ummmm, somewhat offensive, is the way the kid not standing is sitting there with his feet up on the desk. If you're going to sit there, at least sit with some respect for the other people in the room.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 9:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Absolutely. Very sobering.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i think that's a great picture. i don't have any problem with the pledge, etc. so i can't comment on that part i suppose.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I was reminded that Harry Reid pointedly omitted the phrase "under God" when he recited the Pledge today.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 9:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• First of all, I don't have a problem with the pledge, and even said the 'under God' part for many years even though it was not in the original. I am often surprised at how many conservatives are so adamant about the pledge when it was written by a socialist and pledging allegiance is generally pretty socialist. Second, I support our troops and often stand and applaud them at events. I appreciate anyone who serves our country, and many members of my family are in the military or ex-military.

Pledge of Allegiance History

As long as we're not saluting the flag like they used to, I don't have a problem with reciting the pledge.

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I don't have a problem with the pledge. But, when I really think about it, the whole thing is just kinda creepy. Having all the children in the US recite their loyalty to this country day after day while standing with their hand on their heart. If it wasn't a US custom, and it was say, China doing that, we would think...the communists are indoctrinating their children. Just like that previous pic posted, we only think its not weird because we are use to it. Having our children pledge their allegiance before they know what that means, to me is one of the non- USA things the USA does.
    Anonymous

• WOW!!! I mean WOOOOOOOWWWWW!!! Sobering Indeed!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• no. I have no issue with the actual pledge, and stand for it. I don't agree with compelling school kids to say it, though.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• so what, Anna? that's the real pledge.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• If we tread on a person's freedoms, we tread on all of our freedoms. Maybe the non- pledge saying folks have deep convictions re the wording or implication that prevents them from uttering the words. IDK. I doubt many hold much against an injured/disabled service member. It's just not black or white-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2011