My parents ignore my birthday?

Every year for the last 4 years it seems my parents just lets my birthday go over their heads. I'm grown so of course I'm not expecting balloons, cake and a gift but at least some acknowledgement, some well wishes. My mom called me yesterday and I was busy so I called her back today (my birthday) I talked to her for 2 hours and she not once said a thing, but much worse it's like she did it on purpose (facebook reminds you of birthdays, she was on facebook on my page in between all my friends telling me happy birthday but still said nothing). I haven't even heard from my dad. But what made it worse was my older sister whose birthday was a month ago got a long drawn out speech on Facebook from both of my parents about how they loved her so much and what not, we took her out for dinner as a family and just helped her celebrate her day. I've always felt like they don't care too much for me (my sister has always gotten the best of the best; new cars, works for the family company, went to college while I had to buy my own vehicle, gain my own employment and they couldn't afford my college education) and today seems like it kind of confirmed it. I sort of feel like I'm being too sensitive about it, but at the same time I wonder why my parents keeps doing this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• I think once you become an adult and have kids of your own you pretty much forfeit birthday calls, gifts and anyone remembering.. the kiddos get it instead. don't take it personally, most women can't stand being reminded they are yet another year older lol
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• That seems ODD! Id be asking her WHY she wont acknowledge it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I am sorry to hear that. Your birthday is your special day. Have a great day
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• That is not cool. I'd straight up ask them why they don't acknowledge your birthday. I'd be totally hurt if one of my parents ever forgot my birthday.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I find that very strange that your perents didn;t acknowledge birthday.I would tell them how you felt about that. ASk them why they didn't wish you birtday wishes. Maybe she was mad you couldn't talk to her when she called you, the day before.But I would think she understand when someones busy and can't talk at the moment .does happen. .
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• happy birthdayHope this makes you smile.  I'd have a talk with my mom if this was a recurring thing.  Hope the remainder of your day is special and I hope mine is tomorrow (c:   

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• That is just wrong. They are really awful parents to do that. It would be different if they just didn't celebrate birthdays. However to do one child and not the other is sick in the head.

You are not too sensitive, that is big time rejection-very hurtful.

You need to make your own life and happiness. Clearly these are not people who you can count on, I am sure you have that figured out by now. I assume you have family and children so focus on that and be sure to divide yourself equally if you have multiple children yourself. Patterns can be learned, unfortunately.

Your parents are small, little people to do that, so just lower any expectations and move forward. I hope your family celebrated your birthday!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• obviously your parents have some underlying issue and it probably has everything to do with them and they are taking it out on you. I would be so hurt by that - and it sounds like you are close b/c you spoke on the phone for a couple hours that day. You are so not being over sensitive and I think it is reasonable to bring it up in conversation at some point and ask WTH? As a parent, favorites are so not cool (we can feel what we feel,but we need to appear not to be leaning towards any one shild. I hope you had a good day and were spoiled by someone. For sure bring it up one day when it is not so raw.
    got2boyztoo

Answer by got2boyztoo at 10:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Dj Birthday picture.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I am so "SORRY" ♥♥♥♥♥

That was not right at all, My feelings would be hurt also.

You have EVERY RIGHT to be hurt and with-out GUILT !!!!!

You own your feelings, and you have every right to be hurt .

need a friend contact me, just remind me, who you are ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 12:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2011