Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Drunk driving

My husband just got a phone call that his daughter has been put in harms way. Her mother just married this guy in February, after knowing him three weeks. He is not that great of a guy, just paroled from serving 8 years cooking meth. The phone call was from his old friend, who is also the mother of his daughters best friend. She said that the husband picks up Aspen, daughter,from school drunk. Yesterday he didn't even take her to school instead took hewr to a bar, and left her with an 18 year old boy (still no clue who this is). He drops his wife off at work, and then is supposeto take Aspen to school. We also learned in this phone call that they have moved her to a different school. It is the worst school in that city. My husband has joint custody, but she has physical custody. She does have to get n ok to change schools, new medication, and whAt not. We get her this weekend. My husband thinks we should not give her back because it is unsafe. The mothers best friend begged us not to take her back because Aspen is unsafe. It's going to be tough adjusting. We have a 3 year old and an 18 month old. I also go to school full time. But I know we can do it. Do you think this is the right decision. His daunted is 8 years old.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (6)
  • Hell yeah that is the best thing for his daughter it does put more stress on the both of you but stress that you can manage. its is definitely in your guys best interest to keep this lil girl out of harms way regardless I give you kudos for taking a stand

    Answer by My2boys0523 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

  • I'd get to a lawyer today, tomorrow at latest and find out your legal options. I know you don't want to send her back where she's not safe, but are you going to be harming your chances of getting physical custody by not returning her? It's probably not the answer you want, and not the answer I want to give, but you should at least try to consult a lawyer and see what they say. You don't want to end up being charged for not returning her and have her go back there and have the joint custody taken away. As it is now, especially if this person would testify, you should have a good chance of getting physical custody, especially since they are the ones violating the custody agreement. Good luck!

    Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

  • Unfortunately, she does have physical custody. If he keeps her, he can be charged.

    I would definately get in touch with an attorney since she is required to get his permission to change schools. As for the rest, it is heresay unless you can get proof. Start keeping records of anything you hear, see, and the child says.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

  • I wish I could get a lawyer, it gets tricky because we live in a different state. So we would have to go there to get one. The first custody hearing was in her state, Mississippi which is a state that always gives the mother physical custody. Going there is hard, I have school everyday and it's a fast track program so you cannot miss but 2 days in a three month period. I'm sure we will regret not getting a lawyer when it's said and done. We don't want to have to do this. It's hectic enough with two children, 3 yo and an 18 month old. My step daughter has emotional problems and is very jealous over our girls. We have done everything we know to make it pfect here for her. Recently I re did her whole room. We treat them all equally and show no favoritism. It is going to be hard to get her in a routine. Usually when she is here she is on school breaks or weekends, so she has no set bedtime or rules.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

  • Should I really have to jeopardize her though, what if its not hear say? I have seen the house they stay at. I wouldn't let my dog spend the night there. This whole situation is horrible.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

  • Unfortunately you have to do this the legal way, it's unbelievable isn't it? I would contact a lawyer ASAP. I would also call, and/or as the friends mother to call child protective services and give them this information as well. Once a case is open it could support the need to get her out of that situation. Good luck, this is terrible, hope it works out and quickly.

    Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 10:06 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.