My 4 year old just changed her brother's diaper....

With my supervision of course, and then doing it over when she wasn't in the room but I want to teach her how to help with the new baby so she doesn't feel left out. What did you have your older child do for your younger child? In what other ways did you have your older child help out?

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 9:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He ran errands (as stated above) but also sitting by me he could hold the baby and feed him (they are 4 yrs aprt), burp him, etc. Pretty much our only rule was he could never pick up without asking to hold him. He loved getting the bottles ready, shaking them and "testing" them
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 2:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I think if you ask her to do things like the above poster recommended like taking diapers to the garbage and other little things that will actually be helpful for you she will feel important and big. I think it's all in the way you tell her like "oh thank you so much for taking that diaper!! you are so helpful to me and your brother!" and you will probably see the biggest smile on her face! :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• my 2 1/2 year old actually LOVES to clean and pick up because I make him feel like he is so big and helpful lol
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My older daughter will help cover the baby with a blanket when she falls asleep, she also gets bottles from the fridge for me, helps press the button on the food processor to make baby food for her, turns on the baby's night light, brings her PJs into the bathroom at bathtime...... There are lots of little things they can do that make them feel like big helpers :o)
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 2:25 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I only have one child, but my mother had both my sister and I help care for our little brother. We fed him and I changed his diaper (I was 10 years older.) We also helped each other learn things and I tutored for homework...
    karischub

Answer by karischub at 9:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• What a helper.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I just had them play with the baby, talk to the baby, and at most throw away the dirty diapers and left the mommy duties to me.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2011