Chronic Diaper Rash with Cloth Diapers

I tried asking this in the cloth diapers group, but only 4 people responded, which really wasn't enough to make a decision since they all voted for different options. Here's the original question. One of the reasons many moms choose to cloth diaper is because it is better for their baby's bottom, and I wish that was our case. I feel like I have tried everything! I use Rockin' Green soap, which is supposed to be the best. I change her diaper every 2-3 hours during the day and I wash her diapers every 3-4 days, even though I have enough to last 6 or so. Nothing seems to help, the rash always comes back. It will go away for a day or so and then it's back with a vengeance. I use triple paste with a liner to protect the diaper when its really bad and try to give her plenty of bare butt time.

So here's my question. I have heard there are lot of different "natural" remedies for diaper rash, but they are a little spendy, so if you had to pick, would you use tea tree oil, coconut oil, or grapefruit seed extract? On and I use cloth wipes so I know that's not the problem either. I have also tried stripping my diapers and using all F&C for few washes to see if it was the Rockin' Green and that didn't help either. Erg, I'm at my whits end!

08MrsAllen

Asked by 08MrsAllen at 9:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NOPE!!!! From a SC ER doctor... and 4 ER nurses ... crazy as it sounds.. I swear to it. CRISCO LARD!!!! (not the butter flavored) the blue can.

It protects the area from wetness while allowing the area to get air to heal. within 2 applications my son's Rash went from RED to pink!!!! NO LIE!!! put on enough so that when you do wipe some off there is still some there to coat ... then add more for the next pee-pee time. IT DOESNT BURN AT ALL.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 10:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i would use bagbalm it's like $5
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It may not have anything to do with any of that and everything to do with a reaction to food.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• If it's a yeast rash a tablespoon of white vinegar with a cup or two of water is awesome. Some time without the diaper and sunlight are the cure. I also tried cloth diapers and wasn't happy I went with seventh generation after a month of trying.
    aprilavenmarg

Answer by aprilavenmarg at 9:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i think it could b something he is eating! to much juice gives my dd an AWFUL rash!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Resinol worked for my son, but, most stuff doesn't do well with cloth diapers. I would go with coconut oil.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would be more concerned with what is causing the diaper rash. You have to wash cloth diapers twice. Use detergent in the 1st wash. Use straight water in the 2nd wash. Do not use fabric softener. That can irritate baby's skin. Plus, fabric softener will make fabric become less absorbent. My sister went through the same thing you are going through now. She let her DS lay on a blanket for most of the day without a diaper on. When the rash went away, she put A & D Ointment on DS every time she changed his diaper. She did this for a month or two until he quit having diaper rash.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I agree with a couple of other posters. Food can cause this problem...my middle son would break out horribly if he ate to many tomatoes or green peppers. It could also be a yeast infection which will not respond to diaper rash treatments. I'm sorry that I don't have any info on natural treatments or that I really didn't answer your question. I just wanted to add in my experience....good luck and I hope it clears up soon!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2011