Home made salad dressings

my grandma makes this chip dip she calls bean cavier that has a salse you pour over it thats made with 1 cup of sugar, 3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, a tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, 3/4 cup of vegetable oil. this salse is so good. i'm thinking it would be great to use as salad dressing too. would this be healthier than using store bought?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I think it would be a lot healthier and it sounds yummy too :)
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 9:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I would say with the sugar content that it ranks right up there with store bought. However, it doesn't have the preservatives that store bought has.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I agree with Jademom07. Could you try it with half of the sugar? I bet it would still be delicious.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It soundy good. I am getting hungry thinking about it.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• yeah, you are probably right..it probably would be better as a salad dressing used with half the sugar. The dip though really last for a long time..you boil it and pour it over black eye peas, pintos, chopped onion, chopped celery, pimintos, and shoe peg corn. it is really good.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• with that much salt, it would have to be healthier.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• What is "salse" and how is that concoction used as a chip dip? Just curious. My personal favorite homemade dressing is made with bacon grease, Miracle Whip, and a few other things, lol. It's my grandma's recipe and she's Dutch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• you boil all the ingrediants in a pan and stir..after you get it to a boil you let cool. you pour it over the pintos, blackeye peas, pamintos, corn, onion, and celery..(make sure they are rinsed if you use can) then refrigerate before serving. it is the yummiest chip dip ever!!
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2011