When did you start solids?

When did you begin to introduce solids? Where you breastfeeding or formula feeding? Was the little one able to sit unassisted when you began solids? And did it help your baby gain weight when it was introduced?

earthmamajoe

Asked by earthmamajoe at 9:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We didn't start until almost 11 months. She was breastfed with formula supplemented as needed.

She self-weaned at 11.5 months. She was sitting unassisted.

Solids up to 1 year are only to get them accustomed to the textures and different flavors. Their digestive systems aren't fully mature until 1 year so they do not get much nutrition from solids.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I breastfed all 3. The oldest started solids around 6 months. The other 2 started much earlier, around 4.5-5 months, because they were swiping food from the table to eat. The older 2 were definitely sitting unassisted. For some reason I cannot remember about my youngest. He did physical things a little later, but not by a whole lot.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I started my daughter, who doesn't sit unassisted and is a slow weight gainer (she's only in the 15th percentile) on rice cereal about a month ago and she is 51/2 months old. The pediatrician told me I could start any time around 4 months. With other foods he said to wait until 6 months and then she could have anything except raw meat (duh), unpasteurized dairy (again, duh lol) and honey (until 2). She sits in her Bumbo in the middle of our table while we feed her which helps since she isn't ready for a highchair since she can't sit up on her own yet. If you are going to start feeding solids I highly recommend the Bibbity by Summer infant. It is a GREAT bib and it's perfect for small babies.
    08MrsAllen

Answer by 08MrsAllen at 1:10 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• 4 months,breastfeeding and no he had to be propped up. The DR told us start him on rice cereal.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• we started at 5 1/2 months. we wanted to wait until 6, but he was sooo into it, he wanted to try food ! he wasn't sittig up by himself, but with a little support. We started by giving him breastmilk on a little spoon, and then pureed carrot. He just ate a little bit the first time, we gave him carrot for 3 days (only once a day), and then waited for 4-5 days and gave him avocado. He loved it !. then a couple days later, we tryed bananas... yuk, he really doesn't like ! now we ate giving him squash and he's in love with it. he is 6 1/2 months old and now sitting uup by himself. he makes a mess when he eats that s so funny ! how old is yours ?
    kokomaman

Answer by kokomaman at 9:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Around 5-6 months. They couldn't sit unassisted. I used the baby seat.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I started my daughter on solids when she was 6 months old. My dd was premature and wasn't not breastfed but formula fed and we started giving her baby cereal when she was 5 months. She loved solid food and held it down more than she did the baby formula. At first she didnt gain weight and she started to once we was giving her the baby cereal.
    acruz86

Answer by acruz86 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• she's 5 months friday. pediatrician said we could start trying to introduce. im worried bc shes not sitting unassisted and shes a fairly slow weight gainer.
    earthmamajoe

Comment by earthmamajoe (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• We started both kids at 4 months. They were nursed until 9 months when they weaned themselves. They were both also sitting unassisted and trying to swipe food off our plates.

They're now 7 and 4 and VERY healthy.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• 6 months
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2011