How to help my toddler adjust to new baby

I am planning on having our new baby sleep in our room in a bassinet. The only problem is my 2 and 1/2 year old girl sleeps beautifully in her own big girl room. She would like to sleep in our room but is great in hers too. She only sleeps with us if she has a fever which Is very rare. Isn't she going to want to sleep with us every night if her baby sister gets to? What should I do? Can I convince her otherwise, let her sleep with us or put the new baby upstairs in her own nursery rigt away?

aprilavenmarg

Asked by aprilavenmarg at 9:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wish I would have known my 6 year old is still not use to the 2 year old
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Just explain to her that babies need to sleep near mommy and daddy and that big girls get to sleep in their own room in the big girl bed. All I have to do with my almost 3 yo is explain that big girls get to do this and babies don't. I just ask if she is a big girl or a baby. She usually answers a big girl and does what I expect a big girl should.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't draw much attention to the fact that the baby will be in your room. I co-sleep with my babies and I've never had jealousy issues with older children wanting to sleep in our room too.
    If she does notice the baby in your room and wants to sleep there too then would be the time to explaine to her that it is best for the baby. Also tell her what you did with her when she was a baby.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I am learning from these answers so that someday I will know what to do. Thanks
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 12:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with Amanda, try not to draw attention to it.

Emphasize the idea that she is a BIG GIRL and that she GETS to sleep in her own bed...make it something for her to be proud of.

Also try to include her in caring for the baby, such as asking her to get you a diaper or a blanket.

Give her attention while you are caring for the baby, like reading her a book during feedings, or asking her to help you sing a song while you change diapers.

Good Luck.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 2:50 AM on Apr. 13, 2011