What to say to you ds when they start messin down there

I dont know what to say to her when I catch her playin down there...My grandma told me to get on to her and tell her its nasty, and then I have also heard that if u get onto them it will make them insecure...what do u think?

momofmonsters27

Asked by momofmonsters27 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Now is the time to have the talk about privacy. There is a right time and place for things like that.

And you are right, telling her it's nasty will give her the thought that her body is something to be ashamed of.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• She does not do it in front of any one,, i have caught her laying in her bed while watching tv ..................
    momofmonsters27

Comment by momofmonsters27 (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Then I would probably just leave it alone.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Ignore it if she ONLY does it while alone. It's her business. It feels good. Grown folks do it. No need to make her feel bad.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• i have actually been in this situation recently and at first my gut reaction was to be like oh my god!! but i sat down on her bed with her and i bery calmly asked her why she was doing it. it took her a long time to come around and admit it but she said that it felt good for her. So i told her that while it may feel good that she should not be doing it out in the open(she was supposed to take be taking a nap and her door was wide open). that it was a natural thing and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it be she was not to do it anywhere but in her room with the door shut and NO WHERE else. and she didn't need to talk about it with her friend b/c it was a special thing that was just for her and private. And to be honest with you i have not caught her doing it again. I think b/c i had not made such a big deal about it and told her that it was natural the thrill of it is gone. i could be wring she could still be doing but
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• be doing it but like i said behind closed doors. i hope this helps.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 10:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• DD, not DS right? anyhoo as long as he or she is in private, and no one is watching her or him, no biggie, their body their right to touch it!! As long as they know that no one else is to touch them, no matter what,, who cares? They will grow up knowing themselves and have no guilt,, it isn't nasty, it is natural human behavior
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• She did it so much last week that it was hurting her...so I looked down there to put some diaper rash cream and it was soo beet read..is it normal to do it that much?
    momofmonsters27

Comment by momofmonsters27 (original poster) at 10:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• yes i stress on the part where no one else is to see or touch it and if someone does please tell mommy ....and I let her know that she wont be in trouble for it either
    momofmonsters27

Comment by momofmonsters27 (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It's 100% NORMAL... definitely time to talk to her about privacy, and as mentioned before, time and a place for everything. There is NO shame in it, and making her feel shame definitely will hurt her in the long run. At this age it's not sexual... it's simply b/c it feels good!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2011