Why does my milk leak every time my baby cries or makes a fussy sound??

My baby made a fussy sound in his sleep and my milk instantly started leaking all over! Is that normal??

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 3:05 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Good old instincts... especially in the beginning, boobs will leak milk whenever a baby (even if it isn't yours) fusses. Keep a big stock of breastpads so you don't leak through your shirt, and if you're breastfeeding, think about getting the milksaver pads, that way not a single drop of breastmilk is wasted.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 3:21 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yep its normal.

Answer by gemgem at 3:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I've heard it's totally normal. Some hormone triggers in your brain to respond to your baby's cries, or something like that. My mom said she hated it when I was a baby, that her shirts were always milk-stained because she couldn't control the leaks xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• yeah its totally normal. my friends did that during the last few weeks of being pregnant...

your body just knows that your boobs are used to feed a baby when in need. and when you hear a baby crying particularly YOUR baby, your brain knows that your boobs are used to calm your baby down so it makes more milk to do that...

its normal though :)
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:08 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yep, it's normal. My friend told me about it when she was pregnant and I didn't believe her. Then I read about it and still didn't believe it. Then it happened to me.
    alysmommy0909

Answer by alysmommy0909 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• yep.. its weird it leaks when some else's baby cries. Your breasts know its time to feed when a baby cries
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:16 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yep it's normal. Mine would leak all the time when he would cry... especially if it was close to feeding time I would let down. But it has gotten better with time and almost never happens anymore... he is 4 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2008