Watching a child in your home...

My DD is 6 months and my cousin is expecting a baby in Jan. My aunt let me know that they are thinking of asking me to watch their DS two days a week. I've always wanted to start a home daycare, so I think I'm pretty interested. I'm guessing that they will offer to pay me and honestly, we need it. My question is what is a reasonable amount? I'm more worried about them paying me more than it deserves than the other way around. It would probably be normal working/day hours two days a week. Not until the baby is about three months. So mine will be about ten months at that time. We live in Utah, if that makes a difference cost-of-living wise.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Money & Work

• I baby sit my friends daughter a few days a week until she and her husband get their work schedules worked out. They pay me $30.00 a day. I hate taking it, but I do provide breakfast, lunch and a snack - it's just easier to feed her what my daughter is eating. And I do drive across town to get her son off the bus. Our girls are both a year. But even if I didn't provide meals or drive around, they would still pay me $30 a day.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:33 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• $5 an hour?
    Anonymous

• Call around and ask other daycares what they would charge if you had a 3 month old baby who needed daycare twice a week. That will give you a ball park idea. Then you can in turn decide what is a fair and decent amount.

Answer by gemgem at 3:24 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I was a PT Nanny for 2 children. I was paid $10 and hour from each. That worked out nice when I had them :o). It's hard work taking care of children, so also remember not to sell yourself short!!!!!
    smboutique

Answer by smboutique at 8:44 AM on Dec. 2, 2008