Is size everything?

I am a size 16/18 in pants depending on the brand and I wear an XL shirt but I have really big hips and a big butt. I am also 5'7" tall. On the weight charts I am considered obese. Are these always true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• How you feel and how you function is more important to me than a specific size. Extra weight in general isn't good for your body because it's extra stress on your bones/joints, feet...everything. It does take a toll.
    But over all everything, no matter "skinny" or "heavy" be aware of what you are and are not putting into your body and what you are and aren't doing to keep your body strong and healthy.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 10:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Size is an indicator on how you carry weight. BMI is one general way of determining if you're obese or not, but waist size is another way as well. I'm only 5'5 and when I weighed over 200lbs, I wore a 16/18. I've lot 67lbs and now in a size 8. I was looking at pictures of me back then and while I didn't FEEL that big, I looked big, I just couldn't see it then!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 11:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• They can be off if you are extremely muscular since muscle weighs more than fat. Besides that they are made as a range so it's pretty much on point. I just lost weight from being a 16 pants myself, I'm now at a 12. It just goes to show how overweight the general population is because I still felt small compared to a lot of people out there when at a 16. Don't get down on yourself but use things like that as motivation for a healthier you.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Yes, I think the chart is correct. I'm sorry, and I hope that doesn't hurt your feelings. I just want to answer honestly--size 16/18 is pretty big. I'm not bashing you, because I used to be that same size. I've worked really, REALLY hard to get into a healthy weight range and I feel GREAT. I have so much more energy and zest for life.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• How do you get healthier?! I have tried EVERYTHING from working out, yoga, eating better, weight watchers.... I don't know what to do anymore, I don't have a lot of money for "Healthy food" and I wouldn't even know where to start with it if I did.
    I used to be a size 9 and stayed that way because of yoga and the funds to get all healthy food, then my family told me I was too skinny and looked unhealthy so I stopped exercising and started eating with them. I want to be back to that so bad but I just don't know how anymore because everytime I try I fail!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I can't tell you what exactly will work for YOU, but for me--I try to keep my calories below approx. 1800 per day (a figure that is based on my height, weight, age, activity level, etc), and to make sure that those calories are in the form of fruits and vegetables (raw as much as possible), limited amounts of whole grains, vegan soups, light dairy, boiled eggs for protein, etc. I also work out like a fiend. I have several workout DVD's that enjoy immensely, plus I run and/or walk in my neighborhood. I do light weight lifting for strength and toning of my muscles, and yoga or pilates once a week to increase flexibility. I am very committed to exercising and eating right. I don't do it for a few days, then get discouraged and stop. I've been on this "journey" for a few years and have had my share of frustrations along the way.
    There are some great groups at cafemom for health and fitness. Also, you can PM me if you'd like.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:17 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I thought a lot of dairy and whole grain were good for you? Ugh see what would be helpful to me is an example meal plan
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You have to watch your calories and carbs though! WHEN you eat grain (bread, rice, etc), it's definitely better to eat 100% whole grain, but that doesn't mean it's a free for all! There's still a lot of calories and carbohydrates in grains, and extra carbs are stored as fat. And dairy is similar--sure you should be eating some dairy, but only in the proper amounts. I can't give you a meal plan because I'm not you and I don't have all your info. Your best starting point (if you haven't already done this) is use free online calculators to see how many calories you should be eating per day based on your individual info. Find your calorie # to maintain your current weight, then deduct 500 calories from that, and that's your daily intake. Then make sure those calories are consumed in fresh, whole foods, primarily veggies, with smaller amounts of proteins, fruits, etc. No sodas, no juice--they're just extra calories and dyes.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 5:28 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Do you have a link to a good site?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:21 AM on Apr. 14, 2011