Eczema

My daughter has an awful case of it and I can't find anything that helps.

She may have a tint of red to her cheek and then when she wakes up from her name it is BRIGHT red. Thing is, it doesn't happen ALL THE TIME, but it's been pretty consistant (on and off) since the beginning of the year.

Took her to her pedi, who said it's allergies. Took her to the allergist and still, nothing to help her. I have another appt next Thurs. I really hate to wait that long.

Any suggestions of something I might try, that I haven't already.

ItsJustMe1017

Asked by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Health

• ok my brother used to get this whenever her hate anything acidic so maybe have her tested for that? and they do make creams for it but i dont remember what the name was i hope that this helps and you get some answers!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My sister is 17 and has had eczema since she was about 7 and also has horrible allergies. The doc prescribed her some allergy meds (I can't remember the name) and told her to stay away from things with dyes in them-like cleansers,shampoos and laundry soap and fabric softener-also to not eat or drink any canned foods-she is badly allergic to nickel. So maybe these are some things you could bring up and see if some of it will help. She also uses a cream called Cerave. Hope this helps. Good Luck! :)
    Sammy1984

Answer by Sammy1984 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• tea tree oil. my kids get it too
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Eczema is inflammation. You need to treat from the inside out as well. Dairy is a big culprit; avoid it at all costs. Up your child's immune system; take probiotics, vitamins, minerals. Make sure your child is getting enough of the healthy oils (omega oil, borage oil, evening primrose oil). For flare-ups, do not use Rx creams (Elidel is known to cause cancer), steroid creams make matters worse, and may OTC products, even those meant to treat eczema, have nasty petrochemicals known to exacerbate the condition. Topically, you can use organic, extra-virgin hexane-free coconut oil, borage oil, or evening primrose oil (all can be ingested as well for their numerous health/skin benefits). The last piece of the puzzle is to switch out all your child's products (shampoo, soaps, etc.) with natural versions. My DD dealt with eczema for 10 years and this last step finally took care of it once and for all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• sorry ... "many" OTC products ...
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies for your help. Where would I get tea tree oil, EVHF coconut oil or borage oil?
    ItsJustMe1017

Comment by ItsJustMe1017 (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• This is what has always worked for my daughter, and she gets really bad cases of eczema:
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=gentle+naturals+baby+eczema+cream&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=9660634553342424435&sa=X&ei=pEKnTbT3KZSjtgeftaGFAQ&ved=0CDUQ8wIwAA#

http://www.gentlenaturals.com/products/baby-eczema-cream

It is very thick and sticky, but the eczema improves very quickly. Apply daily. Also, don't bathe your DD every day. it tends to make the problem worse.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:55 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• How old is your daughter? My son had really bad eczema when he was nursing from his bottle and it stopped after he's done bottlefeeding. I've also noticed that it gets worse after he would suck on his pacifier, so I thought he was allergic to it. He was prescribed hydrocortizone cream and just used it when it would flare up really bad. Also applied Cetaphil CREAM after he's had his bath, and that helped a lot to control it. After you've decided to try one with a specific ingredient, don't try another product with a different ingredient at the same time.
    filmom2ethan

Answer by filmom2ethan at 3:02 PM on Apr. 14, 2011

• well my friend was telling me if she is getting it from allergies (which is what the allergist said) then to try benadryl. Of course, when I called her allergist...the nurse said, "yes, she can take that".....so WHY wouldn't the DR tell me that MONTHS ago. I am going to try that tonight until I can take her next Thursday for her other round of skin testing.
    ItsJustMe1017

Comment by ItsJustMe1017 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Apr. 14, 2011