How to handle an autistic child

i am in a relationship my bf has 3 kids one of which is autistic i need help on how to care for him before we move in together

karie182001

Asked by karie182001 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Always respond with love. Be patient and try to understand before acting. Good luck!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 11:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• thank you so much :-) he will get lots of love thats for sure
    karie182001

Comment by karie182001 (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• It really depends on what his particular issues are but you'll want to learn what his triggers are for aggression, diet if any, and remember to have lots of patience, he's going to be juts as smart if not smarter than a "normal" child but won't be able to communicate like one. GL
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• my son is also autistic. i agree with the first 3 answers and also you might wanna try doing some research on autism. that will help you understand it better and help you out. good luck girl!!
    samantha2111

Answer by samantha2111 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• thank you ladies so much i know he needs lots of love my bfs' ex wife is one that doesnt want to *deal* with him because she doesn't have patience i want to learn and find out as much as i can in order to provide the best enviroment for him thank you all again and god bless
    karie182001

Comment by karie182001 (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My son is on the spectrum as well, and I agree with the others research Autism, .find out what his issues are, what can trigger a meltdown, be patient, and understanding. Autism is not a "cookie cutter disorder" where everyone is the same-- it is a big, broad spectrum and what 1 person with Autism does another may or may not do. So if some of the things he does/says seems "weird" or "off" to you -- it is just he has his own way of thinking and doing things so it may take a bit of getting used to.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:50 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I agree with all the posts . My son has Autism and I think you should try the research.If you understand the disorder , you will understand the child better, and as you understand him better you can deal with him easier.A little time around the child helps usually to understand the triggers they have .It takes alot of patience and understanding can be complicated if you do not know about the disorder and it still is sometimes.I take my son to a center for ABA which helps with the behaviors.Alot depends on if he is verbal and depends soley on that specific child as I always say if you have met one child with Autism you have met one child with autism, they have alot of similarities and differances.Good luck!
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 10:02 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• I have a child with autism. Educate yourself to make sure your ready for this you need a lot of patience.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 2:47 AM on Apr. 16, 2011

• THATS DELICATE, ITS A PROCESS YOU MAY FOLLOW AND PATIENCE
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:33 AM on Apr. 16, 2011