Splenda, Equal, Truvia (spl?), are they really good for you?

I have been told by several people to use one of the above instead of sugar since I am trying to lose weight. Side note: I don't use a lot of sugar and am willing to switch.

My question is how good for you are they? I thought those types of sweeteners were bad for you? I am confused. I hear so many people saying they are better for you than sugar then I have heard they are just as bad as sugar.

Thought? Facts? Anything?

TIA

palexander

Asked by palexander at 11:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Stevia is natural. The others are chemicals or are altered using chemical processes. Another option is Xylitol or Sorbitol...they are also natural and have anti bacterial properties which are good for your teeth. That's what my doc has told me anyway
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 11:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Trivia is natural and Splenda is not- I like that Trivia does not have an aftertaste.
    lexhalo

Answer by lexhalo at 11:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I don't like any of them and refuse to substitute them for sugar. They all tasty nasty. I have a real problem with Splenda. If it is put in a drink, any drink, it doesn't quench my thirst. As a matter of fact, I get thirstier. It takes me 2 days to flush it out of my system and for my kidneys to stop bothering me.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• I have also been told and have read that Stevia is the best alternative to sugar. I had just bought a HUGE box of Splenda @ Sam's and am still using it. I like the taste of Splenda above all the others. I hope to make the switch to Stevia once my Splenda is all gone.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 12:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The key to my weight loss wasn't my sugar intake; it was my water intake and stress levels.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I use Equal but the Food and Drug Association dose not recommend them. I have read say no.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 3:56 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Splenda is chlorinated sugar. Not healthy.

Equal is full of chemicals. Not healthy.

Stevia is supposed to be a healthy version but I've read that it depends on the source of the product.

There is no safe, good tasting sugar substitute, imo.

If you're looking to reduce your sugar intake, don't focus solely on sugar. Focus on eliminating the white stuff (bread, pasta, crackers, rice, etc.) that turns to sugar in your body (white bread's sugar effects on the body are even quicker than actual sugar's effects on the body).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Nothing fake is good for you. I lose more weight if I use regular sugar, in moderation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I disagree with anon. DO focus on sugars. I tried the other way and ended up with a kidney stone. Now I can only eat white bread, white pasta, white rice (no colorful foods) and I am still losing weight by controlling those hidden sugars and sugar in general. Jorge Cruise has a great book on it. He says get rid of artificial sweeteners and only use Stevia
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• They are all chemicals except for Truvia.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2011