Give me some interview tips!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• Learn as much as you can about the position for which you are applying, and as much as you can about the company and the structure as well. Knowing what your duties would be helps you be able to describe how your skills, education, experience, etc matches up with the expectations of the job. Knowing the structure helps you learn what advancement opportunities you have, and this helps you answer questions like "where do you see yourself in 10 years", etc. Dress professionally, speak professionally (no slang, "um", "like"). Make eye contact. Speak highly of your former employers and sound grateful for the experience you were able to draw from the position (even if you hated the job). My first bachelor's is in HR...can you tell? LOL If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer them for you.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• what kinda job are u applying for?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• it's been proven that attractive people are more successful in life. Wear a really nice outfit and spend extra time on your hair and make up.this is something i read a while back. sorry i don't have a link for you.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 11:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Dress a notch nicer then those interviewing you, but not sexy (or frumpy). Prepare for their questions, read up about the company, review your skills and qualifications, be confident in yourself, don't be desperate, leave them wanting you!
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• Turn a negative into a positive. When they ask you what you can do to improve, or what you can improve in yourself - show them how you ARE trying to do it.
    Or take a positive spin on the comment.

Example : My husband is a workaholic so he answers that sometimes he can be too intense and forgets to take his breaks.

Good luck!
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 12:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Be honest. If you haven't done something that they are looking for in a future employee, tell them so. Let them know that you are willing to learn. I worked for someone at an insurance agency. I was doing things that a licensed agent should have been doing. The owner was buying food and drinks for local car sales persons. That is considered a bribe by the Department of Insurance. When I interviewed with my next employer, I made it perfectly clear that under no circumstances would I knowingly do something illegal. He must have liked me because he hired me.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:04 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Great advice from everyone, and be honest! Do not lie about your qualifications or talk negatively about previous employers. If asked why you left previous place of employment, statements regarding expanding your career or wanting to get additional experience in the field are the best responses.
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• have answers ready for some assumed questions. Give specific examples of a problem and how you fixed it. Be prepared to speak of your flaws and what youve learned from them.
    Joanne28

Answer by Joanne28 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• be ontime
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 4:24 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Research the company thoroughly. Be prepared with great questions and great answers. Find someone to practice interviewing with you, especially if you are not experienced with Behavioral Interviewing. Send thank you notes to everyone you meet with.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:20 PM on Apr. 14, 2011