Whos husband works nights?

What do you do to make yourself more comfterable being home alone? What are your thoughts on how long he should sleep during the day?

AKSauseda

Asked by AKSauseda at 11:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Mine works nights and days...full time in the day and part time at night....we have a gun that he has taught me how to use and our dog sleeps in the room with me...he also calls to check on me a few times during the night....He only gets about 5 hours of sleep since he works both jobs
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2011

• My hubby works shift-work, so he works some days, some nights, w/1-7 days off in between. When he works night shift, he works 6p-6a. He will go to bed between 7a-8a and sleep until 2-3p. So he usually gets about 7 hrs. sleep.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 12:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I don't usually have any problems being home alone at night. Right now both of my 20 somethin' yr-old sons are back living w/us, but when they didn't I didn't get scared. I also have a gun nearby and don't have a problem using it if need be.
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 12:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My husband also works 6pm-6am. He use to work 6am-6pm and I loved going to bed with him at night. Now I have a hard time sleeping having to go to bed alone. We have a gun too as my husband is a police officer. Which there is a whole other worry!! I wont go to bed until atleat 1am and I am up at 7 when he gets home then my 15 month old is up at 8. He says he needs so much sleep but doesnt realize his job has both of us up and I dont get any sleep either
    AKSauseda

Comment by AKSauseda (original poster) at 12:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• It gets easier....I promise
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My in laws have been doing that schedual for years. She has an electric blanket to help her sleep with at night, and takes melenin. He gets home and takes sleeping pills and has ear plugs and eye shades, he sleeps from 8-4 and then wakes up and has dinner with the family, then goes to work. And working nights is alot different from working days, it goes against your body's natural rhythm and can make it really hard to get restfull sleep, and he needs 7-8 hours, I wouldn't mess with that, he's a police officer and needs to be on his game. I'm sorry mama it sounds like a tough situation for you, is there any one near by that can help with the baby here and there so that you can get some sleep? GL
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• when we first moved intogether we both work graveyard shift. we normally would come home sleep til noon and then take a nap from 6 to 9. that's how he always did it and thats how his parents do it because they both work graveyard. the split shift didn't work too well for me though, i tried different sleep patterns over the course of 3 years before i realized im slowly killing myself so i went back on daylight where im so much happier now!
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 12:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• 3 years ago he worked 8 hour shift on nights so he would work 6 days straight before getting 2 off. He ALWAYS slept. Then it was ok it was just us two, i had a job and many friends at the time (im the only one out of my friends to get married and have a baby) they still party, i dont. Now we have a daughter and I am a SAHM. I make sure he gets 6-7 hours of sleep because that was our agreement for him to go back to nights. These past two days have killed me. He worked last night 6-6 this morning, slept in his car at work taught "DARE" from 830-noon then came home, slept, and got up 15 minutes before he went back for another 6-6 shift. So that means tomorrow he will sleep alot. I am just not use to not seeing him or him not seeing our daughter. She gets so upset when she goes through long period of times not seeing him. When he worked day shift he atleast saw her when he got home before 7 and he always put her to bed.
    AKSauseda

Comment by AKSauseda (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• He likes the action on nights. But he doesnt get to see Payton anymore as much. He is on nights until May 2012. Its gonna be one lonely year!!!
    AKSauseda

Comment by AKSauseda (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My dh works nights,i get lonely but i have my kids and cable to keep my mind off of being home alone,i also wear his pjs lol...he only gets 5 hours of sleep since he his going to school too..saturday is when he is able to sleep in and relax...yep its hard but he handles it well...thats my papi
    spanisheyes552

Answer by spanisheyes552 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 13, 2011