Have you taken Zoloft while pregnant?

Did you baby turn out fine?

I NEED to be on an antidepressant. I can not handle anything without it. My dr said that if I'm stressed, the baby is in danger. So we had to get that under control. Well, I basically had two "safe" options. Prozac and Zoloft. Prozac does absolutely nothing for me. Zoloft seems to be working so I'm just wondering has anyone taken this while pregnant and is there baby healthy???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I did not take it while I was pregnant but my sister was perscribed it for postpartum depression and she was breast feeding and the doctor said it was fine. The doctor is going to know best when it comes to something like that and im sure yo wouldnt have been given anything with him knowing you are pregnant that could harm the baby.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 10:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• http://www.hkllp.com/zoloft/zoloft-birth-defects/?gclid=CNDZjpbnmagCFYRa7AodxWwVDQ

Ask your doctor about Wellbutrin.

LaceyLT

Answer by LaceyLT at 11:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I was on Zoloft for 36 weeks of my pregnancy. Gaige is a happy, healthy 6 month old baby boy now.
    BUT..the other day..I saw a commercial saying something about pregnant women taking Zoloft...that it has caused some birth defects in babies! I guess thier doing a lawsuit or something. How true it is..I don't know..it was just a commercial. But it did scare me...but I look at my son and he seems fine to me.No birth defects or disorders.
    So, I suppose as with ANY medication you take during pregnancy..you weigh the odds...and if your need for it outweighs the probability of birth defect..do what you have to do.
    I would really google up as much information as you can and of course, talk to your doctor about the pros and cons and all that before making a decision.
    I wish you the best of luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I took zoloft while I was pregnant. My DD is now 17 months old and it seems to have not affected her. If anything, she's always been a calm baby! Lacey LT's link listed above is a sobering reminder that yes, there can be risks. Keep in mind her link is a lawsuit website that is, in itself, not unbiased. However, Zoloft is one of the "better" antidepressants to take during pregnancy and the risks, while there, are very low. Read all you can about the drug and its side effects. I suggests starting with the National Library of Medicine/National Institutes of Health MEDLINE database: http://vsearch.nlm.nih.gov/vivisimo/cgi-bin/query-meta?v%3Aproject=medlineplus&query=sertraline+pregnancy
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have not, but the dr. will not give you misinformation. Go to the pharmacist and ask as well. They are trained more exclusively on drugs. They will tell you too :)
    jtruax

Answer by jtruax at 7:21 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• There are some risks in using antidepressants such as Zoloft during pregnancy resulting to Zoloft Birth Defects. Taking any medication during the first three months of pregnancy often results to organ defects because it is the time of organ formation. You need to weigh the risks and benefits before making the decision.

AngelenaMays

Answer by AngelenaMays at 11:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2012