How do deal with tantrums at a young age ?

I was at the store and they had a really big Mickey Mouse and I guess it was partly my fault because we stopped to look at it and when I told him say bye to Mickey he cried and cried threw his sippy cup on the floor and wouldn't stop till I went back. I didn't buy it for him but is it possible to discipline a 7 month old ?

christinahenry

Asked by christinahenry at 12:25 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A 7 month old in a store with the gimmies is hard to deal with. I really don't see any real way to discipline him other than being firm, looking him in the eye and simply saying "no". Try and distract him with something else to derail the tantrum and hope for the best. I think you will just have to grin and bear it, Mama.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 12:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• no not really, not giving into it and buying the mouse was a wise choice, cause when he gets older, he will put 2 and 2 together and get toys if he knows what your breakng point it or knows if he screams he will get what he wants if he does long enough.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• You should of kept going and try to distract his attention to something else. We once took our neice for a horse drawn carriage ride. She loved the horse, but when we had to leave she cried nonstop. We told her that the horse would be there next time and that he had to work so she couldn't bother him. She still cried and asked about him all day. She likes to have her way and will let you know she is furious when she doesn't get it. I just make my no a no and she will learn to deal with it. Children can be taught how to deal with things when they are young, but 7 month olds will usually just cry if they dont' get their way. Don't let it bother you, but dont give in and make it worse.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 12:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• At that young of an age its best to try and avoid those things that you know might cause a tantrum, or just try and distract his attention somewhere else. Once the child is older though, ignoring the tantrums (if you aren't in public) is the best medicine. Then he'll learn that acting like that isn't going to get him what he wants.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 13, 2011