Parents who don't discipline their children because they are embarrassed

Have you ever noticed how moms and dads often won't discipline their children because they dont' want to look bad in front of other? What do you think about this and have you ever avoided disciplining because others were around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think its way more embarrasing to not discipline. If my child does something wrong and I do nothing, what does that say to other parents?? When I see kids acting up and the mom or dad doing nothing I wonder why. Do they just not care, do they think what they've done is ok, are they raising spoiled brats?? When any of my 5 do something wrong it is addressed the moment they do it....even if I just say to them, hey you know you just did something bad and you will recieve a punishment when we get home.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I've been there and am struggling with it. It's more like I don't want to make a scene. I WILL say something to her. Or get down to her level and sternly talk to her. But I'm not going to spank her in front of a crowd. It's awkward being around those parents who do that. I def say something to my child as soon as we get out of the store or wherever.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:36 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Maybe once but I can't recall it. I always disciplined in public if necessary to stay consistent.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:37 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have no problem disciplining my child around other people. However, I don't spank in front of others and I talk to her about it as soon as we are by ourselves. I kinda agree with Keeely07
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I don't spank in public but I definitely discipline. I would rather be given ugly looks for that, than ugly looks because I'm not in control of my child. And then when I get to the car I will spank her, depending on what she did.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Good question, I definitely discipline my 2 yr old dd in public. Im usually very stern with her and try to explain to her what she should be doing and that I don't like her behavior. I do spank if I absolutely feel necessary but it's a smack on the hand. There have been times where I didn't do anything because I was embarrassed but it's even more embarrassing to do nothing IMO.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 12:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• LMAO...I would be WAY more embarrassed to have other people see my stand idly by while my child was acting foolish in public than I would be to discipline.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I don't give my children warnings when we are out in public, I let them know right away it's not okay to act out. Whether or not someone agrees with me on diciplining, not beating or bending them over my knee, my children in public is irrelevent. When your children know they can get away even with the most minimal behavior in public, is when they start to realize they can and will get away with more. Being a stern talker is great for some parents, but I will spank my child when and wherever my children decide they feel the need to act out. And I spank one firm one on the tush. I'm not like alot of parents I know or see who repeatedly tell their child(ren) over and over the same no, stop, dont or come here, and then reward them with something to calm them down.
    rizeabove

Answer by rizeabove at 1:32 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I do not care who is around, I will discipline my child where ever i need to. I think it's crazy to be embarrassed, many people have children and have gone through the same thing. I would feel embarrassed if i stood there in did nothing!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• dh and i give a stern talking to in front of people, but we spank in a bathroom because i know some people dont agree with it. i was in that situation today when we had to take my ds to a clinic to see a doc, it was during nap time, he didnt eat breakfast or lunch even though it was made and place in front of him...so the whole time we were there he was throwing a fit saying that he's hungry or wants to do something. i took him into the bathroom, talked to him and spanked him because of his behavior, if i had a choice, i would have left.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2011