My 7 month is sick, is water ok to give to her besides breastmilk? Thanks

This is my first time being home with any of my children, I was deployed very shortly after giving birth to the other two. This is new and scary for me, Thank you for any feedback :)

rizeabove

Asked by rizeabove at 12:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she only needs breastmilk!! Babies under a year old can get water poisoning...please look it up. WAter is not good for little ones...especially if she's BFing, that's the best thing for her. Hope she's better soon...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The only thing she needs is breastmilk,especially if she is sick. Anytime that you,your baby or someone else in the house is sick your body will make antibodies to fight it...as you nurse your baby she is getting those antibodies which will help her fight whatever is making her sick in this case.It's the best of both worlds...she getting extra help from you in fighting what is making her sick and she's getting extra snuggling as she's nursing. Let her nurse as often as she wants Momma...it really is the best and she doesn't need anything else. I hope she feels better soon! God bless!
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 12:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Yes and it is important that she has water in addition to breastmilk. When little ones get sick, its not the illness that you have to worry about so much, its the dehydration that can be more dangerous. Plenty of fluids and sleep is the best thing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• yes

Answer by admckenzie at 12:35 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• yes no more than 3 to 4 oz.
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 12:45 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Thank you all
    rizeabove

Comment by rizeabove (original poster) at 1:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Breastmilk is the only thing she needs and the BEST thing to give her. It will hydrate while giving her antibodies and nutrition she needs.
    leejoy

Answer by leejoy at 2:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would consult your doctor and ask them as to what to do.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• ONLY breastmilk... water is empty fluid. NOT needed. And much as I'd like to agree with ChristmasIver... docs are generally ignorant about breastfeeding. THey don't get much training in it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• @KitttyKatt...yes you put water IN Formula...BIG difference between that and pure water...just google water poisoning in infants and do you research before opening your mouth.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:04 PM on Apr. 13, 2011