Have you ever saved a life?

If so, how did it feel?

shynu

Asked by shynu at 12:49 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I'm not sure. It's hard to say what would have happened. I saw a little girl getting attacked by a dog once. I kicked the dog away and ran with the little girl in my arms about 1/4 of a mile to her house, covered in her blood. They rushed her to the hospital and she was okay, fortunately. I was about 14 at the time. It was scary, but I was glad to have been there to help her. I don't know if it counts as saving someone's life, but you never know for sure. I actually haven't thought about it for a long time.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I donated bone marrow for a friend a few years back. It felt good to help her out. She called me her hero but I didn't feel like one what I did was simply the right thing to do. We give a lot of money to an organization that helps people who are waiting for donors. People don't know how many lives they could save by simply giving their bodies when they die. They don't have to die to help give blood very easy process and helps so many.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Well I would say it's called "everything happens for a reason" in my case. My SO and I just moved out of our condo and moved to an apartment. We accidentally left our fire extinguisher that we purchased at our condo and my SO was very upset about it just incase we had an emergency. So I meant to pick it up the next wk. My friend, our next door neighbor at Our old place, the condo, well her dryer caught on fire and then the washer went right after. The laundry is right next o her sons room. Her fire extinguisher wouldn't work so she ran to her neighbor, our old condo and asked her if she had one. Well she didn't own one but coincidently we left ours and I hadn't picked it up yet. It was insane how that happened and I am a true believer that everything happens for a reason. I don't know if that's considered saving a life but the fire fighters said that it saved them because the place was lit up like crazy.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 1:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I worked in a health care facility for mentally and physically handicapped adults, and there were many times that I had to perform CPR, rush patients to the emergency room, etc.

When it happened the first time, my training put me on autopilot and I just reacted the way I knew I was supposed to. Afterward, I was really shaken by the experience and cried. After that first time, it wasn't as big a deal...until my daughter choked and required my attention like that. It was prolonged and terrible, and even though I had done it a hundred times on adults, having it be a child, and my OWN child brought back that same shaken feeling I got the first time I ever worked on anyone. I was calm during, but really shaken up afterward.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:01 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Mom-2-3-girls that same exact thing happened to me, omg how sad and scary of an experience...I'm not sure wh that didn't pop up in my head the first time. Awwww hugs! I however never did CPR or anything like that in my life so it was my first time. I was very calm as well as it was happening but I have been traumatized ever since...it's been over a yr now and I'm still very shooken up...she almost died. But it makes us mommies stronger!
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 1:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• was living at an apartment complex one day and thery had a pool. The rules state no one is allowed in under3. Anyway, I was working and doing my rounds when I saw a child face down in the water. I do not know how I jumped the thigh high fence to get to her, but when I did, she wasn't breathing. I did CPR and was able to expel all the watr out of her body. After the incident, I was shaking so badly my teeth were chattering I couldn't talk to well, and then threw up all the officers boots.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• No, I have not saved a life but I have helped people that have been chocking on food.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 4:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'm a 911 dispatcher. I save or am at least contribute to saving lives all the time. I also once drove up on an accident and gave life saving first aid to the driver. It really is an amazing eye opening experience!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:19 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I have, just didn't know it until yrs later. A daughter of a close family to ours knocked on the door when I was around 19. SHe was hysterical, crying, shaking etc. She was looking for my mom. I was home alone at the time. I asked her in. I took her up to my room and she explained how she had been depressed and had a terrible fight with her parents. I talked to her for a few hours, and calmed her down as she really should not have driven over in the state she had been in at the time.

Later, my mom told me her mom called to say that her DD had been so upset and was going to kill herself, and she was convinced that had I not been there to calm her down, she would have gone thru with it.

You never know how you treat someone will affect them.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• NO, can't say I have unless you count that my kids are still alive. LOL
    juliemomx2

Answer by juliemomx2 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 13, 2011