How can i handle my 5yr son to go to a dentist when all he does is throw's a fit and screams?

wyattsmom124

Asked by wyattsmom124 at 2:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Maybe try playing dentist at home? Let him poke around in your mouth and show him how you hold still and how quickly it's over and how painless it is...reinforce this with a prize at the end! Lots of dentists have some sort of prize box for kids....You can also call ahead to your dentist and ask them if they have a certain hygienist that is particularly great with children who can work on your son. Good luck!
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 2:23 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Try a pediatric dentist-- they specialize in children and generally they (and their office) are more 'kid friendly' than General Practice Dentists. You can also get him used to the idea by talking about what the dentist does, read books about it, watch a dvd (i think Blues clues had Blue going to the Dentist), and try roll playing-- where you are dentist and let him be dentist to you.
    Also-- some kids need to 'warm up' to the office, so if your child does not have any dental problems you could work up to an exam visit-- like 1st time let him look in the room, next visit sit in the chair... and eventually he will be comfortable enough to have the exam done. (I did this with my 2nd and 3rd they were very apprehensive about the dentist).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:35 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• My daughter had the same reactions with just the doctor check ups, so my MIL got her a doctor kit... it was pink (+) and had all the fun accessories for her to use. Not only did I let her give all her dolls and bears checkups, but we brought it along to her dr appts and the doctor totally played along with her and let her use her doctor kit on HIM!

I'd give the dentist office a 'courtesy call' and see how they deal with kids. they might have suggestions for you because of THEIR experience!

Good luck!
    KTurner4

Answer by KTurner4 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The dentist can give him a sedative.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:10 AM on Apr. 14, 2011

• thank you everyone.
    wyattsmom124

Comment by wyattsmom124 (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Apr. 15, 2011

• EXPLAIN AND HE WILL RECEIVED A TOY?
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 10:32 AM on Apr. 16, 2011