Rash??

My 9 month old has had a crazy rash around his mouth that comes and goes..well Ive switched laundry soap,stopped plastic spoons,switched sippies,lotion, geez just about anything I can think of but it still comes and goes. I thought it was teething but were going on a month now. We see the Dr on Thur. but now he has like red blotchy rashes..2 on his tummy and 2 on his back..its crazy..I have no idea what it could be(he nurses too) nothing in either of our diets has changed..any suggestions?

socalikim

Asked by socalikim at 2:09 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it still could be an allergic reaction to something even if you guys diet hasnt chnged. I ate shrimp all my life baskets... and oneday at the age of 17 I ate a basket at work and boom!!!! itching arms, knees, back, chest, ankles, face. red blotches, throat closing up.. EMT came... i got a few shots, IV then the question... did u know you were allergic to shell fish????????? uhhhhh NOPE, ate abasket everyday at work for a week, never had a problem. Ima 38 now and still ... I test myself here and there.1-2 peices of shrimp and I still itch, turn rashes etc.. then I take meds to counter act it. So it could be still something in the diet.my DD was red dyes (fruit punch) and ds was 2 different antibiotics... good luck
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Red blotchy rashes sounds live hives as an allergic reaction. Test the foods to see if anything causes the flare-ups. Some common allergens to consider: peanut butter, peanut oil, gluten, dairy, eggs, sulphur,plastic, formula, pets/pet dander, your perfume/deodorant/hairspray, lotions, metals, baby powders, unfiltered water). Ask your doctor about giving baby doses of Children's benadryl or some other antihistamine to help relieve the symptoms. Don't give it unless you ask a doctor first b/c it generally is used only for kids 2yrs and older.

http://www.babyzone.com/baby_toddler_preschooler_health/allergies/article/benadryl-dosage-chart

It sounds like it's something either ingested from the locations of the rashes. Applying a cool compress can help relieve itchiness w/o using medicated ointments until you can see your Dr. Diaper rash ointment is the only thing I think is safe enough to use in the meantime.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 4:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I would consult your doctor on this and see what they recommend
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 6:48 AM on Apr. 13, 2011