ELLIS ISLAND IMMIGRANTS. No question just a nice read.

You may have seen this one before, but it's worth a second read...

Good photos; excellent points.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented.

Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.

They had waved goodbye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany, Italy, France and Japan. None of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan. They were defending the United States of America as one people.

When we liberated France, no one in those villages were looking for the French American, the German American or the Irish American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl.

And here we are with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life. I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags.

And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty, it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United States just yet.

KEEP THIS LETTER MOVING. FOR THE WRONG THINGS TO PREVAIL, THE RIGHTFUL MAJORITY NEEDS TO REMAIN COMPLACENT AND QUIET. NEVER LET THIS HAPPEN!

I sincerely hope this letter gets read by millions of people all across this great nation of ours.

I'm passing this on, so now you can too.

gammie

Asked by gammie at 2:34 AM on Apr. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank you for posting this!!!! What an excellent read and personally, one that should be framed and put on the walls of every classroom in America. How proudly our ancesters did the process and what was needed to become an American!!!!!! Thanks again.....
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I am 2nd generation here in the US. My grandparents emmigrated from Italy, & Bulgaria. My grandfather was prud to be an AMERICAN, not an ITALIAN American. My grandmother died before I was born but she was American not a BULGARIAN American. I love reading things like this. Thank you OP for it from a proud American & Navy vet!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 3:29 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• They had waved goodbye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity
    --
    Exactly.
    My paternal family came through EI, Escaping Hitler from Austria I think in '38, My maternal family came from Sicily through EI the following year.PGF was a beer maker, MGF was a paper presser.
    Being from Italy and Austria during WW11, they were deprived of the coupons for meat when rationing took place, and were called nazi and wop. What a warm welcome they received.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:23 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I liked this. Thanks for sharing. My hubby is a first Generation immigrant, He works harder at his job than 10 US born people combined. He calls himself an American, NOT a Sicilian American. He loves his country (America) and would be upset to see the Statue of Liberty taken down. He didnt come through Ellis Island, but he Understands her meaning.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• The safest way to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen, is just to adopt a policy of not posting email forwards
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:54 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Not if it is a good letter!
    gammie

Comment by gammie (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I'm also a proud American, my parents came South America, my dad had a dream. It was hard for my mother to leave her family, but as the years passed my grandparents came than her brother and sister.
    Never said we were Latin Americans We are Americans.

Jesse Jackson starts saying Black Americans, than everyone like sheep followed. WE ARE ALL AMERICANS!
    gammie

Comment by gammie (original poster) at 3:40 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• I should also say we had a great life in S.A. My parents did sacrifice a lot to come here. We came here because of my dads dream to be an American.
    gammie

Comment by gammie (original poster) at 3:46 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• good

josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2011

• Every generation that immigrates has abuses poured on them. This generation it is Mexicans. Every generation, without exception. Polish immigrants were called stupid, Italian immigrants were called dirty, Irish were drunks.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 9:22 AM on Apr. 13, 2011